Tue Jan 29 2008 07:57:17

Upcoming Changes to Feedback on eBay

By: David Steiner

Feedback on eBay certainly has taken a few left turns since Pierre's initial concept that allowed trading partners to rate each other. In probably the most dramatic deviation, Sellers will no longer be allowed to leave Negative or Neutral feedback for Buyers. There are some other changes, which can be found here: http://pages.ebay.com/services/forum/new.html but this is the most interesting paragraph:

What changes are being made to the eBay Feedback system?

There are five key elements to the new Feedback system being introduced in the first half of 2008:

1. Beginning in February, buyers and sellers will be able to earn up to one Feedback per week from the same trading partner. Today, members may only affect each other's Feedback scores one time, regardless of the number of transactions between the parties. This change will both encourage repeat transactions and reward good service.
   2. Sellers will no longer be able to leave negative or neutral Feedback for buyers. This change will occur in May, 2008.
   3. Removal of negative and neutral Feedback left by members who are suspended or who fail to respond to the Unpaid Item Process (UPI).
   4. Positive Feedback percentage will be based on the past 12 months of Feedback, rather than lifetime, since it is most indicative of the seller's recent performance.
   5. Restrictions on when Feedback can be left:
          * Buyers must wait three days before leaving negative or neutral Feedback
          * Instead of 90 days, members will be able to leave Feedback for 60 days

----

We'll be speaking with John Donohoe later today, so if you have any specific questions, post them here before noon, and we'll try to incorporate the best ones in our interview.

Call 1-877-222-0856 and leave a 60 second message about what you think of these changes.

by: N lammont

Tue Jan 29 10:19:09 2008

I gave up working a regular jon because I was sick of being bossed about by morons who were less intelligent than I was. I enjoy working for myself. More and more GreedBay is beginning to feel like I am working for one of these asswipe employers I had in the past. Its getting harder and harder to make money without getting screwed over by inane policy changes and brown-nosing buyers. Come May I will be doing what many honest business sellers have done and taking the bulk of my business to other platforms, including my own webby. I will leave only my shite on Greedbay. After all, why not sell shite on a shite site!

by: CK

Tue Jan 29 10:19:35 2008

Obviously those at the top backing or coming up with these ideas HAVE NEVER BEEN A SELLER ON EBAY or had an EBAY STORE...Walk in our shoes! Get in the trenches and have your own store so you can feel the REAL WORLD of EBAY not the behind the desk crap! I dare whoever came up with these ideas to run an Ebay store alongside us!  Without good sellers on Ebay..there Won't be buyers!  This is sooo lopsided and why???  I've just had an Ebay store a year..became a Powerseller in a few months and work hard on my 100% positive feedback, trying to make a bit of a profit and have seen nothing but negative changes for sellers over this past year.  Instead of encouraging sellers to stay, and new sellers to emerge...you are truly driving all sellers away! Unbelievable ignorance at the top! I am all for a BOYCOTT to let our message be heard and will be watching the Forums for the dates of one. I don't care how much in sales I'd lose to send a strong message, they're going to hurt us anyway!  SELLERS UNITE! I'm definitely looking elsewhere as we speak!

by: Donna

Tue Jan 29 10:19:52 2008

I AGREE W/ EVERYONE ELSE! WHAT A JOKE THIS IS & WILL BE! LIKE MOST OTHERS, I'LL BE TAKING MY BUSINESS ELSEWHERE, TIME FOR THE SELLERS TO MAKE SOME CHANGES!

by: store owner

Tue Jan 29 10:24:21 2008

I think its time for all of us are true to what we do that we need to all meet in Chicago at the eBay live & address this & get it taken care of or we are all going to be out of business with all these eBay newbies for sure & they'll be running the show, not us anylonger

by: moxi

Tue Jan 29 10:26:10 2008

This is absolutely horrible. And yes, ridiculous. I, as a seller, refuse to operate under these conditions. It's bad enough fees are going up, but having no seller protection and absolutely no recourse against inappropriate buyers is too much. I'll be closing my store and setting up shop somewhere else. Or maybe it's just time to realize that the elusive dream of the online marketplace for the ''little guy'' has ended. Guess I better not quit my day job. Also, eBay is making it ABUNDANTLY clear (with absolutely no ambiguity) it doesn't care about sellers!!! What it fails to realize is, where would the buyers be without sellers?

by: Jennifer

Tue Jan 29 10:26:53 2008

Anyone know how to find the last 30 days DSR?

by: Greg

Tue Jan 29 10:29:06 2008

Boy, Meg sure got out at the right time and John is going from the frying pan into the fire.

No negs or neutrals for buyers?  Absolutely crazy.

by: c3po

Tue Jan 29 10:33:52 2008

Ebay is so confused it is bewildering to me.  They had this wonderful venue, that everyone in the world has heard of, Its mentioned on tv, you hear people talk about it at restaurants, etc.  Upper mgmt is killing ebay with small needles and pins.  They might keep it afloat on a quarter by quarter basis, but they have no long term strategy in place.  They really need to find a leader who isn't just a MBA from harvard, they need someone with vision and independence from the norms that are learned in business schoool.  That's the only way they'll put the shine back on the rose.  Until then, ebay is in it's death spiral.

by: Paul

Tue Jan 29 10:34:15 2008

I've been with Ebay for over 10 years and have a 99.7% good feedback. I'd rather leave with a good rating than with a bad rating.

As of Feb 20th I'm leaving Ebay. I've already moved my books to Blujay.com about a year ago. It's free, I'm selling, and they have froogle feed.

I'd love to list on Amazon but they don't have vintage listings.

by: Joe

Tue Jan 29 10:35:15 2008

I am hereby suspending all eBay sales until further notice.  Eat that on cold toast, eBay.

by: Lori

Tue Jan 29 10:35:51 2008

Well, folks, there is NO WAY I'm staying on eBay. I have 100% positive rating, and have been a PowerSeller. I'm actually more frustrated by the sweeping feedback changes than the rate hikes. This is just the most unfair thing for sellers. Why should there even be a feedback system if trading partners can't participate equally, and sellers cannot protect their good names? I'm going to close my store and go elsewhere. Would some kind soul please make some good recommendations for other places to investigate? Thank you.

by: thomson

Tue Jan 29 10:35:54 2008

This will not lead to growth. It will have an adverse effect and will be cancelled, mark my words. This is an attack on the basic ebay-idea and is too serious. I give this idea a NEGATIVE, now I still can.

by: thefuthre

Tue Jan 29 10:36:16 2008

It Amazon is smart, They will seize this opportunity and run with it.  Every time ebay makes another stupid move, Amazon should be right there waiting to grab the ebay sellers looking for a new opportunity.  AMAZON ? ARE YOU LISTENING?

by: miss_understanding

Tue Jan 29 10:38:17 2008

Anyone looking for a new place to open shop?  Investigate Amazon.  The customers are there, and they actually have great customer service.  They are a company that has vision for the future.

by: JT

Tue Jan 29 10:39:19 2008

Just great!
Just perfect!
Screw the seller some more & we'll all go away.
I bet eBay is extinct in the next 5 years.
Now's the time for an alternative!

by: store owner 1

Tue Jan 29 10:39:49 2008

I have been a full time store owner & ESP for eBay & I will close my doors if this happens....This is the most rid. thing i've ever heard of! For the past 2 yrs i have not left a neg in fear of a newbie retal. & will not stand for this...I have already opened up a web store & making more than my eBay store has....so WHO NEEDS EBAY???? not me at this rate! Got some eBay live Hyatt tickets cheap if ya want them, because I have just cancelled my flight & will not spend another dime or min. on this site!

by: designer labels

Tue Jan 29 10:43:24 2008

This really isnt any different that amazon.com has. You are in an open field and everyone has a gun but you, the seller. I always felt better about selling on ebay because atleast the feedback was fair but ebay has not got a clue what they are doing to the community. They just broke down the level playing field to a one sided playing field.

We pay all the fees and we get shot at with feedback but we cant shoot back. This is really level and it is really fair. All ebay is caring about these days is themselves and the money they make from the buyers, forget the sellers fees they rake in every year. Really sad. Now i understand why Meg felt she had to leave. Watch ebay fall to the ground even more after this.

by: Carol

Tue Jan 29 10:45:48 2008

What a Joke. Here is the AP Breaking News headline:
''EBay Lowers Listing Fees to Boost Sales''

Do you think the above adequately describes what is going on here?  Goodbye eBay, you've really done it now.  I am done with eBay as a seller.

by: martha

Tue Jan 29 10:46:22 2008

I would like you to ask Mr. Donahue if he would reconsider implementing denying Sellers the right to leave neutral or negative for slow-paying, non-paying, dishonest buyers.  If Mr. Donahue changes the feedback system so that it is not equal then he himself is being biased and discriminatory toward Sellers and thus causing the feedback system to actually decline in fairness.  Ebay has already caused a huge volume of low Seller morale, why do this?  If Sellers leave, Buyers certainly will not have such a large marketplace to browse and buy from.  Sellers and Buyers depend upon each other.

by: Boston ebay seller

Tue Jan 29 10:51:09 2008

Just checked my calendar... I was SURE it was April Fools Day after reading this.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51  [Next Page]