Tue Jan 29 2008 07:57:17

Upcoming Changes to Feedback on eBay

By: David Steiner

Feedback on eBay certainly has taken a few left turns since Pierre's initial concept that allowed trading partners to rate each other. In probably the most dramatic deviation, Sellers will no longer be allowed to leave Negative or Neutral feedback for Buyers. There are some other changes, which can be found here: http://pages.ebay.com/services/forum/new.html but this is the most interesting paragraph:

What changes are being made to the eBay Feedback system?

There are five key elements to the new Feedback system being introduced in the first half of 2008:

1. Beginning in February, buyers and sellers will be able to earn up to one Feedback per week from the same trading partner. Today, members may only affect each other's Feedback scores one time, regardless of the number of transactions between the parties. This change will both encourage repeat transactions and reward good service.
   2. Sellers will no longer be able to leave negative or neutral Feedback for buyers. This change will occur in May, 2008.
   3. Removal of negative and neutral Feedback left by members who are suspended or who fail to respond to the Unpaid Item Process (UPI).
   4. Positive Feedback percentage will be based on the past 12 months of Feedback, rather than lifetime, since it is most indicative of the seller's recent performance.
   5. Restrictions on when Feedback can be left:
          * Buyers must wait three days before leaving negative or neutral Feedback
          * Instead of 90 days, members will be able to leave Feedback for 60 days

----

We'll be speaking with John Donohoe later today, so if you have any specific questions, post them here before noon, and we'll try to incorporate the best ones in our interview.

Call 1-877-222-0856 and leave a 60 second message about what you think of these changes.

by: Brent Crouch

Sat Feb 9 15:17:41 2008

This feedback thing is crazy!  eBay just wants to be Amazon because they are to stupid to fix the problems.  Sellers are just as much customers as buyers.

by: Larry

Sat Feb 9 17:12:17 2008

I like the look and feel of OLA  onlineauction.com .  It has a fun feeling to it and auctions should be fun.  I have also been browsing their message board and they seem very friendly like true community.  I've checked out other sites and their boards are closed which doesn't make me feel very welcome.  I would never sell on a site that would just close their boards.  I am seriously thinking about moving some of my inventory over to onlineauction.com .  I think OLA has potential.

by: jeff c

Sat Feb 9 20:47:34 2008

These feedback changes by Ebay will give unethical buyers a licence to scam, cheat and steal. I hope I can find an alternative auction site by May 8,2008. Ebay step aside the entrepreneurs of this world are ready for an alternative !

by: shirley

Sat Feb 9 22:21:40 2008

This is ridiculous I receive neg feedback form buyer regardless of anything I think ebay should think about the sellers who spend hundreds of dollars a month , I spent 1200 . last month in fees given to ebay only to make a small portion for my self ebay is going to go under and continue to drive sellers aways  they are unfair we are shutting down our store on ebay in may
listen up people at ebay BIG MISTAKE  You are going to lose us sellers who pay your bills

by: hmm...

Sun Feb 10 16:02:00 2008

Just BTW, if anyone's still reading this thread ...it's taken me a few days to read through this... Rebecca is using her real name, she has her own wikipedia entry, and her website is http://vintagecostumejewels.com/. Still, I'm surprised that someone who writes such insightful poetry felt the need to be so negative and abusive towards other posters.

by: Chris Raehl

Sun Feb 10 16:42:05 2008

I sell DVDs on eBay.  I think with the changes I actually come out a bit ahead, but not a big difference one way or the other.

You guys are silly for a few reasons.

1) Buyer feedback is already useless.  Anybody who is going to 'extort' you with negative feedback is also perfectly capable of dumping their user name for a new one.  Everyone's negative feedback will go up a bit, and it'll be pretty fair all around.

2) You are forgetting that eBay gives you a mechanism to RESPOND to negative feedback - Amazon does not do this.

3) Moving to 'all the other sites' is NEVER going to work.  If you guys want to do something other than keep selling on eBay, you all have to *PICK ONE OTHER SITE* and *ALL* move to *THAT* site.  eBay will laugh at you if you scatter to the winds, because what makes eBay valuable is its size.  You need to make some other site as big as eBay if you want eBay to notice.

by: Dick Ponti

Sun Feb 10 21:52:39 2008

Don't let Meg Leave, give her the moon and fire the stupid one that came up with this stupid idea, us legitimate sellers always treat the buyers as we would like to be treated, and that is the buyer is always 99% right, all bad sellers are obvious when you see the feed back score especially those with private feedbacks, EBAY this is STUPID and your STOCK price will decline.

by: Candy

Tue Feb 12 04:07:42 2008

Im a power seller. That has read too many blogs.

It just feels so devestating. The FB and the fees! Paypal taking 5-7% on my little items. The NEW rate hike. And FB, geez.

I try to be honest and fair in all my transactions. My reputation is important, I work dam hard for it. As soon as it goes down,,,im out.
~~Im going to have to make changes till then.
~~No more FB.
~~Only negs~CAPITAL LETTERS
~~Im cutting my store in half. Only have 700 items now.
~~Handling fees UP
~~May say Bye PayPal! I emptied my account. PP now is 1/4 of eBays profit. (NY Times)
~~Looking for new revenue now!
~~Leave me neg, wheres your POWER now?
~~Mandatory INS
~~Im getting a buyer ID.
Ebay has to have its 1.1 billion,(net income) and raise our fees! In return WE have to raise OUR fees! WHOS PAYING NOW?

Amazon had more holiday traffic!! (NY Times)

The rates will have to go up again soon, because good sellers are leaving, trafffic is down.

BUYERS MAY BE HAPPY,,,but they need to remember those BIG POWER SELLERS have the negs erased after ONE year,,, you better believe they have more than one address. Whos getting SCREWED now????? Who can the buyer really trust then??? If that alone does not get a buyers attention,,,what will.

Ebay, Greedbay, is looking out for #1 As long as they keep 1 through 100 top sellers happy With new Media lower rates,(happened today!!!!!) Screw the rest of us. That sounds horrible,,,,but is it not what they are doing??????

In the long run,,,BUYERS WILL PAY the price, Dont they hire people to think these things through. Or is MR D's EGO so big, he just jumped in with both feet and is falling face first. OUCH.

I wish Grossberg (in top 100 sellers)backed us all up. I know they are the real profit,,,but ALL OF US help each other. Joeblow is not going to buy a car off of eBay, we are,,,our customers are, THE ONES THAT HAVE GAINED TRUST.

People shop eBay,,, not just those top 100 sellers,,,

Why eBay??? WHY??? WHY??? let a few bad eggs spoil the rest?

by: john

Tue Feb 12 20:20:17 2008

18 months/ 2 years ago,  I left ebay. I was selling under auctions and also shop sales. I was selling £7000- £10000 a month and happy to pay the fees. sales and profits were rising steadily. then I invested £30000 in new stock to list in my shop,[ ideal shop material duplicated] and hey presto, within a couple of weeks, ebay anounced they were resticting the views on shops, shop sales then plummeted! and then that followed up with fee increases,  since then I have listed on alternative sites. it was hard going at first, like starting from scratch, but now I am well establised with many repeat customers, and now with the latest fee increases and feedback, I am so glad I got out when I did. A few words of warning to whoever still sells on ebay. whatever your business plan, however as it appears to you, this may change with ebay changes, they have no business plan, and when they change it, it may affect you in a detrimental way. you may feel like your ok today, tomorrow maybe not!. example. have a friend who lised music memorabilia under Jazz, he logged in to his music listings and the Jazz section had gone, all his listings were relisted under MUSIC-OTHER. they scrapped the jazz section + opera and a few other catagories. his sales plummeted by 75% instantly. 4 years he spent building it up, unfortunately he never used the word Jazz in his descriptions and his listings were just someting under OTHER,  his Jazz listings went from a 300 lots catagory to  A 3500 lot OTHER catagory and his customers couldnt find his lots in the 3500+ other, or couldnt be bothered to search through all these listings. eventually ebay reinstated the catagory a week later, due to seller pressure. but the moral of the story here, is dont plan a business plan, because your selling host doesnt have one, what may seem ok today can change tomorrow and you most likely wont have a say in it.  oh? other thing is, dont have all your eggs in one basket, MOST IMPORTANT!  seriously!

by: Bernard123

Wed Feb 13 02:48:44 2008

After reading the various comments, I am more concerned that ever that seller’s will not be in a position to leave neutral or negative feedback for the buyer. It is quite obvious from the comments made that there are some very vindictive people out there who can’t wait for the new rules to take place. SELLERS’S PLEASE TAKE NOTE OF THE FOLLOWING: Now there is a website where you can leave neutral or negative feedback for those buyer’s who warrant it. WWW.VOX-POPULI-ONLINE.COM is a site where you can list your feedback about the buyer. It’s a very clean looking site, easy to navigate and it is a free service. So stop worrying about buyer’s holding you to ransom and take a look. We are currently looking for moderators who would like and help and monitor the site to keep it fresh and to stop abuse. If you are interested, login and contact us through the contact us link.

by: FCT

Wed Feb 13 10:42:42 2008

All of you whining sellers are funny. Its OK for you to throw negative feedback as a retalitory tool against buyers you fail to provide good service to? You people would not sell anything if it were not for the buyers. Its time Ebay started protecting the buyers.  If you people move to other sites you are closing yourselves off to millions and millions of potential customers. If you guys had nothing to hide, you wouldnt be so upset.

FCT

by: Evelyn

Wed Feb 13 16:59:02 2008

Since eBay started the new system for leaving feedback and I have 750+ 100% feedback, AND I have been selling on eBay for the past almost 10 years, I have 4-1/2 stars in the "Shipping" area.  I advertise in ALL my auctions that I ship the first business day following RECEIPT OF PAYMENT--not CLEARED PAYMENT--receipt of payment.  I have followed this to the letter.  Some buyers decide not to send payment for two weeks after the auction closes, and I still send the first business day.  I include at my expense Delivery Confirmation.  I'm still held responsible because the USPS doesn't get an item to them fast enough.  THIS STINKS.  I have one item on eBay now--IT WILL BE MY LAST.  Come see me at METROSWAP.COM--a fair auction site!

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Wed Feb 13 18:46:29 2008

"FCT:"

If you want to know why sellers are upset, just look in the mirror.

by: john

Thu Feb 14 04:39:18 2008

"FCT" Its a 2 way street were all on, buyer or seller. All people do both, buy and sell. good and bad sellers alike. If a seller buys 50 items and sells 50 items, under the new Fb, he might just feel a little more uncomfortable selling than buying even if they were the worlds best seller!. too much a shift in power for any sellers liking. As for sellers not selling anything if it was not for the buyers. Very true, and the reverse works just as well. buyers wouldnt be buying anything if it wasnt for the sellers, and that includes your clothes your wearing, and tonights dinner. lol.. Hey chicken, if it wasnt for us eggs you wouldnt be there. Hey egg, if it wasnt for us chickens, neither would you! lmao!

by: Megan

Thu Feb 14 12:59:32 2008

FCT is obviously not a businessperson. Theft is rampant on ebay. Sellers should use Amazon instead. The site has more class. Ebay looks trashy and attracts a LOT of trashy, low-end customers. It's the difference between shoppers on Rodeo Drive and those at the flea market. If you sell on ebay, you should expect to deal with losers.

by: Alessandra

Thu Feb 14 13:07:36 2008

I agree with Megan. Ebay is a low-end establishment. It doesn't matter if you reach "millions" of shoppers if those people aren't the "types" of clients you'd want to have in the first place. There's a difference between prospects and suspects. You can't advertise to bottom rung people and then expect them to behave with class. Sellers: start your own website or switch to Amazon. You'll attract   buyers with a better pedigree.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Thu Feb 14 23:00:01 2008

This boycott will fail.

It will fail because ebay's current promotion will obscure any dip in the number of listings to prevent Wall Street analysts or anyone else from easily determining the boycott's impact.

To further obscure the numbers, look for ebay to have another one that starts when this one ends.

Those who've kept meticulous records of ebay listings might be able to divine the impact.

However, most Wall Street analysts went to the same school of analysis as most modern journalists where they learned how to regurgitate the muddy pablum spoon fed to them by corrupt politicians and equally corporations. The majority of the corporate cheerleaders don't know to look beneath the surface or choose not to.

Boycotts are ephemeral and pointless in the long run. Ebay will have more than 30 days to 'correct' wahtever statistical anomaly the boycott causes.

What eludes most of us when looking at ebay is that the ebay management is not and never has been concerned about the company's long term success.

Their goal is and has been to do whatever necessary by any means necessary to release the next profitable quarterly earnings report and raise stock prices.

For years, this meant robbing the future to pay for the present, and one of the consequences of the policies required to meet these goals was to tranform most of their customers (sellers) into mortal enemies.

Only illegal monopolies can survive any length of time when they create adversaries out of their customers.

And ebay IS a monopoly.

What WILL work is a successful, broadly based class action lawsuit that compels ebay to redress the laundry list of unfair trade practices if not worse ebay has committed against sellers and compels ebay to make key changes in their monopolistic practices with long term supervision of the court.

by: Feebay fighter

Fri Feb 15 00:42:09 2008

There is an old saying that there is no bad publicity , there are however such things as bad corporations and extortionbay with their monopolistic envoriment at the moment could not give a rats A?se about tens of thousands of sellers who put them in this position or the grief to a lot of families by constantly changing the goalposts .
There will be no change until screwed sellers make up their mind that his is just enough and change to other fairer and more profitable venues , they are waiting in the wings just need support , we have the numbers , keep the rage up guys  .
The fees/charges will just not stop rising until sellers say this is enough feeBay , your greed and extortion with restrictive trade practices  has gone far enough . How is it they can put virtually any thing in their terms of use and get away with it , answer a bunch of smart ar?e legal eagles , how much are our fees being used to pay these characters to work out more ways of extorting us ?.
Fighting mad Aussie seller.

by: jo_anne

Fri Feb 15 02:19:29 2008

Hi .. i have been Reading all the Concerns of the new comming Feedbacks in May .. i also Agree with what you are all saying and im VERY CONCERNED .. Im not a TOP BIG SELLER but its my small Business... VERY ONE SIDED this new Rule .. Example of what has happen to me in the past with a buyer .. so expect this more in the Future .. I sold 3 items to one buyer over a year ago.. i put in 3 unpaid disputes on the 8th day after sales .. no reply from buyer after leaving messages .. on the 13th day they message and said they where paying (That stopped me being able to leave Neg because they could leave me 3 also) 21 days past and i closed the 3 deputes as not payment was made .. THEY put in 3 NO Received Deputes Before Payment arrived on the 26day .. so i posted items BUT I PAID out of my own pocket REG MAIL so they Needed Signture ON PICKUP at postoffice (MY PROOF Of them Reciving ITEMS .. as i had a feeling they were BAD EBAYERS .. they Signd for items as i called there postoffice .. with in 1 HOUR of them picking items up they LEFT Me 3 NEGS saying I STOLE THERE MONEY AND DIDNT SENT ITEMS .. I had Proof but EBAY DONT WANT TO LOOK AT THAT .. I left them NEGS THEN ALSO .. with the NEW SYSTEM .. I WOULD NOT BE ABLE TO DO A DAM THING ABOUT IT .. SOME HOW WE ALL HAVE TO GET ebey to change this before MAY .. Regards joanne

by: Heidi

Fri Feb 15 21:28:18 2008

the STARS even irk me.  Buyer pays 2 weeks late.  I send item immediately.  He docks me a coupla stars for late shipment.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51  [Next Page]