728_header.jpg (23748 bytes)
 Classifieds
 EKG
 Ratings

Tue Jan 29 2008 07:57:17

Upcoming Changes to Feedback on eBay

By: David Steiner

Feedback on eBay certainly has taken a few left turns since Pierre's initial concept that allowed trading partners to rate each other. In probably the most dramatic deviation, Sellers will no longer be allowed to leave Negative or Neutral feedback for Buyers. There are some other changes, which can be found here: http://pages.ebay.com/services/forum/new.html but this is the most interesting paragraph:

What changes are being made to the eBay Feedback system?

There are five key elements to the new Feedback system being introduced in the first half of 2008:

1. Beginning in February, buyers and sellers will be able to earn up to one Feedback per week from the same trading partner. Today, members may only affect each other's Feedback scores one time, regardless of the number of transactions between the parties. This change will both encourage repeat transactions and reward good service.
   2. Sellers will no longer be able to leave negative or neutral Feedback for buyers. This change will occur in May, 2008.
   3. Removal of negative and neutral Feedback left by members who are suspended or who fail to respond to the Unpaid Item Process (UPI).
   4. Positive Feedback percentage will be based on the past 12 months of Feedback, rather than lifetime, since it is most indicative of the seller's recent performance.
   5. Restrictions on when Feedback can be left:
          * Buyers must wait three days before leaving negative or neutral Feedback
          * Instead of 90 days, members will be able to leave Feedback for 60 days

----

We'll be speaking with John Donohoe later today, so if you have any specific questions, post them here before noon, and we'll try to incorporate the best ones in our interview.

Call 1-877-222-0856 and leave a 60 second message about what you think of these changes.

Reading AuctionBytes Blog: Upcoming Changes to Feedback on eBay

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Mon Feb 4 17:41:10 2008
Fazio Micheletti LLP
1900 South Norfolk Street
San Mateo, CA 94403
(650) 577-2380

by: Robin

Mon Feb 4 17:44:45 2008
I have been so restless this week worrying about how these changes will directly impact me as a seller on eBay.

I have spent hours and hours reading news and reactions from other sellers, worrying about being ''banned'' from eBay for commenting negatively towards the new changes.

Although the hours are long and being an eBay seller isn't as easy as one might think, I really depend on the extra money I make.

But in the end I have to be willing to step up to the plate and team up with my fellow sellers, leave comments, protest, boycott, whatever it takes and yes, i will fill the pinch but i just cannot sit back and be scared.

Please eBay corporate, please step back and reevaluate the changes, please don't forget the small mom & pop types that started eBay and helped you make a very good salary for your hard work and effort.

Oh! how easy they forget from whence they came.
by: Denise

Mon Feb 4 18:48:05 2008
I've already started my switch from ebay to another site. I've gotten several listings up there already. No more $20 ebay featured fees per listing -- my ebay bills were between $600-$800 per month. Good riddance, I say. Ebay's unyielding greed is intolerable, and now this dramatic shift of power to the buyer -- it isn't worth it to sell on ebay anymore.
by: Grumpy Gryphon

Mon Feb 4 19:43:13 2008
@Ming the Merciless

Wow. I guess to you, all buyers are nothing but thieving scum that are out to do nothing more than to make a profit off of your back.

To me, as a seller, I don't share your feelings.

To me, as a buyer, you, as a seller, are nothing more than thieving scum who misrepresents a broken item, ships it as cheaply as possible sans packing material, charges 20 times what the actual shipping is worth to make more profit and avoid paying auction fees and then cries because I complain to eBay that my 1lb item that cost $30 to ship arrived broken with no packing material.

The door is over there. If you don't like it, leave. Please. I don't want to make the mistake of ever buying anything from you.
This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Mon Feb 4 19:52:04 2008
In addition to the planned ebay seller slowdown and boycott, consider this:

If you pay by credit card, remove the credit card on file in your Seller Account which you access through My Ebay. Instead, check the option that says you'll pay by mail. This prevents ebay from automatically charging your card on your fee due date and reduces the possibility of hackers obtaining and publishing your credit card number.

Delay as long as possible sending payment and then pay by credit card which you reinstate in seller account. Repeat the process by again removing your credit card on file from ebay.

This accomplishes two things.

1. Ebay earns less interest on seller fee bank deposits :-) when payments are later than usual.

2. Ebay continues to have to pay whatever special rate I've sure they've negotiated with the credit holders thus eliminating any monetary gain they might have made if you'd paid your fees with a check or money order which cost ebay nothing.

This should not under any circumstacnes be regarded as a suggestion that you not pay your fees which I am NOT advocating. I'm simply suggesting you not pay quite as quickly as usual, but not to extent that causes any additional problems for you.

With ebay making no effort whatsoever to track down and prosecute the infamous hacker, vladuz, no one can afford to have their credit card number(s) on file with ebay as several thousanbd ebay sellers had their card numbers published on the internet by hacker vladuz.

Send a message to ebay that you're you're going to retaliate against their unfair trade practices by any LEGAL means necessary as often as necessary, that you won't tolerate the constant security breaches, and that you will hold them legally responsible when it happens.

Hit 'em where it hurts!

--When Bear Stearns speaks, it's the Chinese moving their lips.--
This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Mon Feb 4 19:57:04 2008
A thought while waiting to vomit during the PESA conference call with the two ebay whiz kid apologist automatons...

Why would ebay spend your fee money lobbying the CIA?

Just let your imagination run wild!

The possibilities are mind boggling.
by: eBay Queen

Mon Feb 4 19:59:51 2008
Ya know...i have watched this board grow & grow & if you'd spend more time & energy on your customer service as a seller, than you do nagging on here,,,,you would NOT have a thing to work about & would have the best DSR's around LOL. I dont like a lot of the changes either, but guess what???? LIFE & eBay WILL GO ON! so either deal with it or visit other venues...they would love to have you i'm sure! It was really hard for me too to adjust to all the new changes, but as a 7 yr full time seller on here w/ over 6k f/b, powerseller at 99.7% & as a buyer as well...I really got to thinking "like a buyer" & the community does need to be fixed & have already been working on even better things to make my customer serv. even better & bump my lowest DSR which is a 4.6 up even more! if we didnt have buyers, we would have sellers....get it????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
?
by: eBay Queen

Mon Feb 4 20:02:24 2008
To Denise....
regarding the 19.99 featured???? guess you have not heard that its dropping to 9.99 ???? read the POSITIVES sometimes & you all mine learn & enjoy more!
This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Mon Feb 4 20:08:17 2008
@Grumpy Gryphon:

You don't know Jack Schitt about how I conduct my business and you couldn't be more wrong.

I ship ONLY Priority or Express Mail fully insured with either delivery or signature confirmation and sometimes Registered and customers have described my packing as "bomb proof."

I charge only actual costs for all the above services, offer free delivery confirmation, and don't charge any handling fee.

Liar, liar pants on fire.

Tell it somebody who actually cares what someone like you thinks. And if you'll post your ebay user ID, I'll make SURE you never buy anything from me despite my 99.99 feedback rating.
This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Mon Feb 4 20:18:36 2008
@ebay Queen

Queen is as Queen does.

I have many, many more feedbacks than you, have a higher feedback rating than you, and my DSRs are all above 4.9.

The majority of ebay buyers are indeed honest and don't cause trouble. But it's that growing percentage of scam artist buyers and dishonest competitors that create problems for honest sellers.

And unless you have solid strategies in place to deal with 10%-20% of the ebay Buyers from Hell, Your Highness, they're going to eat your royal lunch.

And I say good riddance to smug 'royalty.'
by: Laura

Mon Feb 4 20:21:38 2008
Ok I’m convinced; eBay's goal IS to get rid of sellers.
At least now since they don’t have the buyers. After reading the article today and realizing that at best eBay’s sell through rate is around 25%.
by: JoeJoeJoe

Mon Feb 4 20:22:02 2008
Hey idiot queen, if you really think you'll be safe from buyers just because you have good customer service then I dare you to leave your ebay id on this board. What have you got to lose? C'mon. You treat your customers well, right, so you have nothing to lose. I have a buyer id too but, of course, I promise I would never attack your feedback (wink wink) because you are such a supreme seller and that would be wrong. So give it up, idiot queen. And this May I'll be sure and stop by your ebay auctions for a surprise visit !!!!!!!!!!!!!
by: Denise

Mon Feb 4 20:28:07 2008
Ebay Queen tells other people to work on their customer service and then admits that she has a 4.6? If buyers are so fair in giving dsr ratings and ebay queen is chastising everyone else for their customer service then why does SHE have such a low score? Could she be the pot calling the kettle black? me thinks so.
by: Dale

Mon Feb 4 20:29:17 2008
all of you are a waist of this boards room on the net for sure
by: Elle spiery

Mon Feb 4 20:33:42 2008
This coming from somebody who can't spell the word ''waste''.
by: Elle spiery

Mon Feb 4 20:56:04 2008
SELLERS!!!! Just a reminder!

THE EBAY BOYCOTT will be in force from February 18th - February 25th.

We sellers are going to band together and NOT list/sell anything on those dates. We are also going to put our ebay stores on vacation, and we are going to refrain from buying anything. We will NOT be using eBay that entire week.

Let's stick together and show ebay how we feel about their changes.

''ALL FOR ONE'': All eBay sellers for one goal -- a fair and safe place to trade.
This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Mon Feb 4 22:08:00 2008
Not listing OR selling 18 Feb - 25 Feb would cost me one third of my listings. I'll not list or sell during that time, but there will three days' worth of residual listings as I'm not extending my boycott beyond a seven day window unless there are new developments.

I think it's wrong to neg sellers who sell during this time frame, however.

And, frankly, I think the boycott isn't a very good idea until someone in California contacts that class action law firm first.
This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Tue Feb 5 03:25:12 2008
Has anyone given any serious consideration to the very likely possibility that ebay will run 20 cent listing days or something comparable during the boycott week?

They've done it before to counter boycotts.

WE NEED A PLAN B!!
by: sukki

Tue Feb 5 04:11:10 2008
MING THE MERCILESS:

I enjoy reading your posts and agree with 99.9% (oh, maybe even 100%) of what you've written.  My one burning question:  Having read every single word written on this blog since it began, I've seen you post the contact info for the CA law firm numerous times.  But not once have I seen you comment that you, yourself will be contacting them.  May I know the reason why?  It's almost like ''Do as I say, not as I do.'' Or did I miss something?  Thanks.
by: steven

Tue Feb 5 09:51:46 2008
I honestly don’t think the problem is Buyers or sellers.
I do both and as a silver powerseller I say 99% of people buyers and sellers are terrific God Bless them.
The problem is and always has been EBay’s greed.
We must boycott EBay please spread the word. If EBay lowers their fee's we will sell more EBay will make more and this acrimony will be over.
I hate it that this is becoming a buyer VS seller issue. It should be ALL OF US VERSUS CORPORATE GREED.
What are the dates of the boycott?
All store owners we Must close our business using the vacation settings for the week.
I will do it.
If eBay offers free listing use the date starting feature extra 10c to list after the boycott.
That will circumvent EBAYS nefarious plans.
BUYERS AND SELLER UNITE.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51  [Next Page]

buyersmarket2aaa2.JPG (7729 bytes)