Tue Jan 29 2008 07:57:17

Upcoming Changes to Feedback on eBay

By: David Steiner

Feedback on eBay certainly has taken a few left turns since Pierre's initial concept that allowed trading partners to rate each other. In probably the most dramatic deviation, Sellers will no longer be allowed to leave Negative or Neutral feedback for Buyers. There are some other changes, which can be found here: http://pages.ebay.com/services/forum/new.html but this is the most interesting paragraph:

What changes are being made to the eBay Feedback system?

There are five key elements to the new Feedback system being introduced in the first half of 2008:

1. Beginning in February, buyers and sellers will be able to earn up to one Feedback per week from the same trading partner. Today, members may only affect each other's Feedback scores one time, regardless of the number of transactions between the parties. This change will both encourage repeat transactions and reward good service.
   2. Sellers will no longer be able to leave negative or neutral Feedback for buyers. This change will occur in May, 2008.
   3. Removal of negative and neutral Feedback left by members who are suspended or who fail to respond to the Unpaid Item Process (UPI).
   4. Positive Feedback percentage will be based on the past 12 months of Feedback, rather than lifetime, since it is most indicative of the seller's recent performance.
   5. Restrictions on when Feedback can be left:
          * Buyers must wait three days before leaving negative or neutral Feedback
          * Instead of 90 days, members will be able to leave Feedback for 60 days

----

We'll be speaking with John Donohoe later today, so if you have any specific questions, post them here before noon, and we'll try to incorporate the best ones in our interview.

Call 1-877-222-0856 and leave a 60 second message about what you think of these changes.

by: Larry

Sun Feb 3 15:35:44 2008

Checkout http://powersellersunite.com  and you do not need to be a powerseller to join.  Open to all sellers

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Sun Feb 3 16:12:22 2008

It's about 100% guaranteed that if a major class action is filed against ebay, Ina will report it!

Typically, law firms that file such actions create special web site pages for members of the affected plaintiff class (e.g., sellers) can sign up. In many cases, the lawyers will be interested in receiving written accounts with SOLID documentation.

There is no better example that I'm aware of that better illustrates modern corporate arrogance and unbridled greed than ebay/PayPal.

Ebay/PayPal does what it does because it can, and none of our elected officials seem much interested in either investigating how ebay/PayPal does business or compelling either to change its many unfair business practices.

PayPal is operating on thin ice anyway because it performs many of the functions of a bank without being regulated as a bank.

Ebay is a monopoly! It looks like a monopoly, it talks like a monopoly, and it walks like a monopoly.

MONOPOLIES ARE AN ANATHEMA TO FAIR TRADE!

But ebay is fully confident that sellers are so independent, so disorganized and so spread out that they can't have any impact.

Ebay has and will continue to do whatever they want -- legal or not -- until:

1. A court orders them to cease their numerous violations of the Sherman Anti Trust Act, conspiracy to to restrain trade, and the fraud they commit with all the 'glitchy' software that charges sellers for phony listings, non existent photos, double listings, seller non-initiated relistings of sold items, etc., possible IRS violation in compelling sellers to perform functions and abide by restriction normally only applicable to employees, and so on.

The list of alleged ebay transgressions is a mile long as is some of the highly, highly questionable PayPal policies.

Once again, a sweeping and comprehensive SUE VICTORIOUSLY(®,© to Ming the Merciless :-) class action against ebay/PayPal could net millions for am ambitious law firm and compel ebay to permanently change the way they do business!

If our federal government would enforce the Sherman Anti Trust Laws, then class actions can!

Those who can concretely show irreparable harm (losing your business, home, etc.) from these policies and their negative impact on your profitability MAY have a separate cause of action but, unfortunately, probably only after a court establishes that these practices are violations of the law.

2. Wall Street tells ebay their entire approach is a failure because all the critical statistical benchmarks are down and their stock makes no significant gains this year.

3. Ebay's Board of Directors fires every one last donna hoe ebay manager/executive and sends Meg Whitman packing. This is unlikely because of the sweetheart, chummy relationship that corporate management have today with their BoDs which are no longer there to represent the interests of the stockholders but to a. rubberstamp management's decisions b. create mega perk packages and golden parachute packages for present and past ebay upper management.

Please believe me when I tell you that how ebay operates as a business is about 1,000 light years apart from how small and mid level ebay sellers must operate on ebay.

What we ALL need to understand is that ebay will do WHATEVER IS NECESSARY by ANY MEANS NECESSARY to make sure their sellers stay in line by ebay definition.

It's not unlike being an indentured servant.

ONCE AGAIN, here's the name and address of a California law firm in northern California with experience in handling class actions lawsuits against ebay.

Fazio Micheletti LLP
1900 South Norfolk Street
San Mateo, CA 94403
(650) 577-2380

Personally I could care less about realizing any financial gain from a class lawsuit although I feel ebay has wrongly taken thousands and thousands from me over the years.

I'd like be willing to let any law firm winning the case to recover 100% of the damage judgement. Such an agreement would make taking this case even more attractive for a law firm.

Those of you who can demonstrate egregious and irreparable harm caused by policies which we hope a court would invalidate would have separate causes of action for money could be recovered.

Also J Donna Hoe should also be sued not only in his capacity as ebay CEO when these policies take effect but also in his personal capacity as well which would include all his assets :-)

Folks, do some reading about the Sherman Anti Trust Act, why it was passed, and Teddy Roosevelt and his trust busting days even, gasp, it means doing just a little research offline.

History does repeat itself!

by: MIng the Merciless

Sun Feb 3 16:41:15 2008

reallyfuckingtickedoff and the others like him or her who've posted here are powerful examples of why ebay's going to join the ranks of New Coke and the Edsel.

This new system is like letting the inmates decide who's apppointed to judgeships, and these pieces of human trash and your competitors WILL RUIN YOUR BUSINESS regardless of how customer oriented you are.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Sun Feb 3 16:44:14 2008

A word of advice for California ebayers planning pickets of ebay corporate offices (and don't forget Salt Lake City).

Don't make your plans where ebay can find them. Otherwise they could get a court order that will establish a "free speech zone," and that zone will be so far away that your picket will be all but invisible.

by: MAG-CEO

Sun Feb 3 16:49:00 2008

We as Ebay boses love the debates, we get great media coverage for FREE :)

Keep up the good work

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Sun Feb 3 16:50:02 2008

If you're interested in hourly tracking what hopefully will be the downfall of ebay, this page on powersellers unite tracks listing hourly increases/decreases in raw numbers and percentage of all auction sites:

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Sun Feb 3 16:52:32 2008

gets a rope and hangs him self

by: Grumpy Gryphon

Sun Feb 3 16:54:38 2008

@Fed Up Seller:

Dean came off as a maniac, but he has some points that are worthwhile, even if they were presented in a less than stellar manner. I do a lot of buying on eBay, and sell sometimes - mostly things I get in lots where I need one item and want to dump the rest, or personal items that I no longer need/want. Recently, I've noticed a lot of things about eBay which I can imagine spurred some of the changes being made.

Shipping charges seem to be creeping up, and not just because rates have gone up. For example, I need some RAM for a firewall I'm installing. Since you can't just waltz down to Micro Center and buy PC100 anymore, I looked on eBay. I see one lot of four pieces that would be perfect. Shipping for this lot? $20.00! To ship 12 oz. of merchandise, probably in a padded envelope. This is by no means an uncommon thing - sellers with new items for sale seem to be charging ever increasing amounts for shipping, sometimes as much as 10-15x actual charges.

Shipping time seems to be another thing that's suffered recently. I don't mean transit time by the post office, I mean when did the seller ship? Another example. I bought a small item on 1/1/08. Paid at POP. Holiday, so it's not going to ship that day. No problem. I figure it will ship no later than that Friday. A few weeks go by. Nothing. I ask the seller on the 11th if everything is ok and s/he tells me ''Yeah, I shipped today.'' I get the box and find that it was actually shipped on the 16th. This is one of the more extreme cases I have encountered recently, but it is by no means unusual.

I'm guessing that the changes that were made to the feedback system were a result of complaints like this. I really think eBay responded badly to the problem - the feedback system should be more subjective and automated. Make payment via paypal? Buyer gets a ''paid within reasonable time'' point. Seller ships using a confirmation-enabled method? Shipper gets a ''shipped within reasonable time'' point. (Electronic shipping information received shouldn't count!) Don't use one of these methods? No point. Use one of these systems but don't do it in time? Lose a point. Other things could be more subjective, without the Yes/No system that is in place now.

The FVF is the real kicker. I'm guessing this was enacted for one reason - the sellers who charge way too much for shipping while keeping actual cost of merchandise artificially low. Since shipping cost really would have to be checked on a case-by-case basis to determine fairness, a better response would have been to charge FVF on everything, cost and shipping. Seriously tho, if your business model can only survive by making profits on shipping charges, your business model is broken. IMHO.

eBay really has little control over the process once the sale has ended, and the new CEO shows all the signs of not actually understanding the busines model - so he responds to the broken part of it with the only thing he can control - the feedback system. If this were a perfect world, only the bad would get hurt, but it's not.

But you also have to realize that this is eBay's game. Not yours. If you don't like it, you're not being forced to stay. I don't like it, so I probably won't be selling much on eBay once the changes take effect. eBay may be digging it's own grave, but that all remains to be seen.

End rant.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Sun Feb 3 16:55:06 2008

MAG-CEO:

I don't doubt it in the least, fella. I doubt seriously that very many ebay managers could spell bosses correctly, either, so you fit right in.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Sun Feb 3 16:57:29 2008

This post did not come from me:

Upcoming Changes to Feedback on eBay
by: Ming the Merciless
Sun Feb 3 2008 16:52:32
gets a rope and hangs him self

See what I mean? BY ANY MEANS NECESSARY.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Sun Feb 3 16:59:53 2008

with Microsoft buying out Yahoo and google investing in Ebay, things are looking dim for the future.

by: Dean

Sun Feb 3 17:11:50 2008

I agree ebay needs to sort out the issues and work with its customers if Ebay is going to continue.

Ming the Merciless - Where did you read about Microsoft and Google? Find it a little hard to beleive my self.

The future lays its own path and we can only watch, its Ebay that can open the doors and us Sellers walk in

by: Rose777

Sun Feb 3 19:37:45 2008

Dean Hollaran what is your UserId?  I want to make sure I put you on my BLOCK list!  LOL

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Sun Feb 3 20:09:00 2008

The original Ming the Merciless (me) did NOT post the following:

Upcoming Changes to Feedback on eBay
by: Ming the Merciless
Sun Feb 3 2008 16:59:53

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Sun Feb 3 20:45:10 2008

To thwart the ebay trolls' and employees attempts to create chaos and confusion in this blog discussion by stealing IDs just like they've with other companies' software, let's take this discussion to the Auctionbytes discussion boards where only one person can use the same user ID.

I've archived this page.

This user has validated their user name. by: David Steiner

Sun Feb 3 21:06:08 2008

The forums have been closed to self-registration because of the high volume of spam it receives.

To request access to the forums, email dsteiner@auctionbytes.com with the following subject line - "Access to AuctionBytes Forum" and you'll receive instructions for registration.

David Steiner

by: Jennifer Angell

Sun Feb 3 21:15:13 2008

The transaction comes before the feedback. eBay has put the horse before the cart here and handcuffed good sellers in the process. I posted this on the feedback board but feel it is worth sharing here.

I have this thing that's like an old clunker of a car that will get me around town but I sure don't want to pull up in front of the Ritz in it. For the most part, it is in good condition, but it's pretty beat up. It has a few scars here and there (some red paint scratches) from run-ins over the years with others I accidentally bumped into who ended up ramming hard back into it to pay me back. It's a '99 model and it has a few years on it, too, but it's still in pretty good condiion.

It is my buying ID.

It took a bt of thinking to see where the feedback issue came from from a buyer's perspective. I am as much a buyer as a seller on eBay (so I would be a powerbuyer) -- I spent about $10,000 on eBay last year both on business supplies as well as on personal items.

But in thinking about my old jalopy of an ID, I recall that in at least two cases I received items that were not as described, and I mean seriously not as described. I followed all of the procedures set forth by eBay and filed my Paypal disputes accordingly. The only thing I wish I had done was get on the phone with a supervisor, submit photos, called the president of the US, or anything at all that would have helped me get my money back. One in particular I lost because the seller refused to give me a refund and Paypal found in her favor. I lost over $300 on that one because I forgot to use my CC to fund the transaction. I would have filed a chargeback had I not forgotten to check that d@mn box in Paypal.

Boy that left a baaaad taste in my mouth. I knew that leaving a negative for this seller was going to get me one in return.

That didn't bother me, didn't make me stop buying, but what did happen was that I was very careful about how much I spent on items and how I paid for them. I lost faith in ebay and Paypal for not protecting me. I didn't care at all about the feedback. That's why I have a separate ID. I know going into it that if I give one, I will have to, as Griff once said "take a hit for the better good of the community"...

and I did that. That seller deserved 10 negatives and i would have gladly taken 10 back to be able to give them to her.

eBay's flaws cannot be fixed through feedback changes. Buyers need protection in ways that feedback can't even touch, even if it means a refund period in place for all sellers to abide by. This topic is a touchy one for me because I had reached the point where I was comfortable receiving a negative in return for helping the community, and felt that little by little the attitude toward negative feedback would gradually change. Then eBay changed it before that had time to happen.

I don't have the answer or any suggestions, but I know without a doubt that feedback is the last reason I choose not to buy on eBay and losing my money is the first one.

Customer Service is what is needed, not handcuffs.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Sun Feb 3 21:49:13 2008

There is no such thing as "THE EBAY COMMUNITY!!!!!!!!!"

There might have been one a few years ago, but not anymore.

So for an ebay employee with the experience of Griff to give the advice to "take one for the community" is absolutely amazing in its naivete if not unfamiliarity with how the ebay marketplace has DEVOLVED over the years.

What we have now is an autocratic monopoly that behaves exactly like one would expect a monopoly to with NO concern for its customers (sellers) and focused entirely on taking YOUR money.

NO BUYER OR SELLER SHOULD EVER BELIEVE ANYTHING EBAYS TELLS YOU WITHOUT INDEPENDENT THIRD PARTY VERIFICATION.

It will be a cold day in hell before I take one for the ebay community! I've taken quite enough of them from ebay itself, thank you very much.

As for those cozy agreements between ebay, Yahoo!, and Google, read the archived articles on Auctionbytes for starters if you don't believe me.

by: lamptable

Sun Feb 3 21:58:54 2008

As most ebayers know the feedback system has always been flawed,I have been left two neg feedbacks in retaliation.One I left for a non paying bidder and one I left for a seller who sent wrong item and offerred to pay my postage costs if I returned item but refused when they received it,so system is already bad but these changes are REDICULOUS.But just as rediculous as sellers saying I will leave feedback after you,if I pay quickly I should be entitled to positive feedback.I think a boycott should be tried,if it does,nt work give Ebay the flick,take our business elsewhere

by: lamptable

Sun Feb 3 22:09:46 2008

As we all know the feedback system has always been flawed,I have received two neg feedbacks in retaliation,one I left for a non paying bidder and one for a seller who sent wrong item and offerred to pay my postage costs if I returned wrong item but refused to pay once I did so.But these changes are REDICULOUS and so one sided.I too think a boycott is called for and if that does,nt work then take our business elswhere.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51  [Next Page]