Tue Jan 29 2008 07:57:17

Upcoming Changes to Feedback on eBay

By: David Steiner

Feedback on eBay certainly has taken a few left turns since Pierre's initial concept that allowed trading partners to rate each other. In probably the most dramatic deviation, Sellers will no longer be allowed to leave Negative or Neutral feedback for Buyers. There are some other changes, which can be found here: http://pages.ebay.com/services/forum/new.html but this is the most interesting paragraph:

What changes are being made to the eBay Feedback system?

There are five key elements to the new Feedback system being introduced in the first half of 2008:

1. Beginning in February, buyers and sellers will be able to earn up to one Feedback per week from the same trading partner. Today, members may only affect each other's Feedback scores one time, regardless of the number of transactions between the parties. This change will both encourage repeat transactions and reward good service.
   2. Sellers will no longer be able to leave negative or neutral Feedback for buyers. This change will occur in May, 2008.
   3. Removal of negative and neutral Feedback left by members who are suspended or who fail to respond to the Unpaid Item Process (UPI).
   4. Positive Feedback percentage will be based on the past 12 months of Feedback, rather than lifetime, since it is most indicative of the seller's recent performance.
   5. Restrictions on when Feedback can be left:
          * Buyers must wait three days before leaving negative or neutral Feedback
          * Instead of 90 days, members will be able to leave Feedback for 60 days

----

We'll be speaking with John Donohoe later today, so if you have any specific questions, post them here before noon, and we'll try to incorporate the best ones in our interview.

Call 1-877-222-0856 and leave a 60 second message about what you think of these changes.

by: Michael

Tue Jan 29 09:50:03 2008

I repeat, I have over 6300 feedbacks with no negatives.

Care taken with pictures, accurate descriptions, prompt shipping and careful packing will minimise any negative possibilities.

As for star ratings, mine are 4.9, 4.9, 4.9 and 4.8.

I know I do everything right so it's just the nature of the beast to forget to give a rating or whatever.

by: DMM

Tue Jan 29 09:52:40 2008

I guess it's back to brick and mortar and the show circuit for me! This is one of the most assinine stunts ebay has ever pulled!They get no more of my money!!

by: Samantha

Tue Jan 29 09:52:50 2008

They left out FIVE - scamming buyers can now threaten to leave negative feedback unless a seller refunds/gives more items/does something else unreasonable.

A recent buyer of mine claimed they only received half their order when the postal receipts proved they received the entire amount. They threatened to leave a negative unless I said them more items. I didn't give in and I got my negative - more of this will now take place because buyers have the power to get sellers suspended from selling.

by: TB

Tue Jan 29 09:52:52 2008

I am appalled at Mr Donohoe's and ebay's decision to change feedback to this atrocity. The entire article contradicts itself left and right. Do you honestly think buyer's will feel ''better'' because they don't have to fear a neg? I think it'll promote even more late payments, contradictory bidding, and poor buying habits. Ebay used to be fun...now it's just tedious; riddled with scammers and poor management.
Guess I 'll just need to get my own website up a little quicker.
I expect in 3 yrs Mr donohoe will complete what Meg started...the closing of ebay.

by: morteerkun

Tue Jan 29 09:53:06 2008

This makes me angry. A buyer will have to freedom to terrorise me and afterwards I can only give him a positive feedback? I'm an honest seller with 4000 fb. I was going to put some hard work in my shop, but if this is true, I'll say goodbye. This isn't ebay anymore.

by: Christine

Tue Jan 29 09:53:30 2008

I've had buyers who have sent me bad checks, phony money orders, and others who have tied up inventory for weeks with the old "the check is in the mail" routine (it wasn't). My favorite was one who purchased a $300 item, received it, and then filed a charge back saying that the credit card use was unauthorized! This is ridiculous and gives me more incentive to get out of eBay altogether.

by: robbie

Tue Jan 29 09:55:48 2008

I habe been w/ebay for almost 9 years now, and have amassed almost 15,000 diff pos feedback,and this has to be the absolute worst idea ebays braintrust has ever come up with!
I make every effort to provide the best customer service, yet there are customers who expect their item to arrive the day after they pay(or earlier!), who make a mistake in not reading the specifics in the description (ie size, color etc), and then will hold feedback over a sellers head, if they dont get a refund!!
Ebays basic premise was that people are good, well ebay, why not give that same respect to the sellers and not just the buyers...it is the sellers who are paying your salaries!! It has been my experience, that there are equal amounts of bad buyers as there are bad sellers......it is only ebays logic to bite the hand that feeds it....simply amazing! I for one will now reconisider selling on ebay....

by: areaction

Tue Jan 29 09:57:17 2008

What the??! Is this REAL?? I already hate Donohoe and he's just here. Obviously he never was an ebayseller or he wouldn't take dumb decisions like this. I would like to see his head on a plate.

by: Ginger

Tue Jan 29 09:57:19 2008

Why should I ever leave feedback again? This is rediculous! Now I understand why everyone is doing so much better on Amazon! I used to love Ebay, but do they care about any sellers? NO! I love the boycott idea. Is this why Meg suddenly decided to retire? She saw Ebay going down the tubes?

by: nan

Tue Jan 29 09:58:18 2008

I have sold on E-bay for 8 years. I was anticipating this conference to help make our decision on which changes to make this year in our business. I can't see any way we can stay with E-bay with these added burdens and STRESS to the sellers. The only way to keep some of the buyers in line from scamming and dishonesty was the mutual feedback system. To remove that is unfair to the sellers who are paying the high fees (and yes it is true that the fee cut is really a fee increase). The three day rule is ridiculous. Maybe E-bay has come up with a new way of ''beaming'' the packages to the buyers. The packages can't even be delivered in that time. Especially if ''lower'' shipping options are being used like ground. Promising buyers nothing but happiness is foolish and unrealistic. This is one of the worst moves E-bay has made.

by: Pat

Tue Jan 29 10:01:07 2008

I want to thank you, Ina for giving me a heads up on this tidbit.  It will give me a little while to get over my frustration and anger with Ebay.  I have said for a long time, Ebay ia a HUGE flea market and cater to people that are looking for collectibles and other endearing items.  The Ebay site just grew so fast, the establishment did not see nor know how to accomodate the influx of sellers to their site.  As with all companies, the bottom line is the focus...it always comes down to the $.  Is this new policy fair?  Of course, not but what can a seller do but suck it in and keep trucking.  Or, go to other sites but the traffic is not at other sites...I have already tried.  Ebay has  the upper hand and they know it.  I am a powerseller with selling restrictions on my handbags though I see a multitude of sellers with double digits luxury bags in their stores.  Go figure.  I have said for a long time that it will take a class action lawsuit from Ebay sellers to get their attention.  Anyone interested?

by: FG

Tue Jan 29 10:02:12 2008

YOU SAY YOU WILL ''try to incorporate the best ones in our interview.''

HOW ABOUT LETTING HIM SEE ALL COMMENTS FROM YOUR SELLERS! AFTER ALL, WE ARE THE ONES MAKING YOU RICH BUTTS!

I THINK ALL OF OUR OPINIONS ARE EQUALLY IMPORTANT!

I AM SURE HE IS DOING NOTHING PRODUCTIVE ANYWAY, WAIT HE IS PROPOSING THE STUPIDEST OF IDEAS, THAT IS SOMETHING, RIDICULOUS BUT SOMETHING!

AND TO THINK YOU ARE ALL LIVING IN YOUR MANSIONS, DRIVING YOUR BMW'S IN YOUR $1000 SUITS BECAUSE OF US, YET YOU CONTINUE TO CRAP ON US.

NICE CONCEPT!

ALL OF YOU WHO PROPOSE THESE WONDERFUL IDEAS IN HEADQUARTERS! SELL FOR A WEEK THEN TELL ME ABOUT FAIR.

I AM SO TIRED OF YOUR POMPOUS IDEAS!

by: tomfour

Tue Jan 29 10:04:45 2008

THIS IS MADNESS. For sure, sellers will be forced more to give refunds. (Buyers aren't always that nice, you know.) This will drop the profit for sellers and boost their frustration. Please cancel this decision or our shops, read:ebay, will go down.

by: conmor

Tue Jan 29 10:07:51 2008

I'm willing to pay to cancel this ridiculous decision. Where's the union? I'll join.

by: jo

Tue Jan 29 10:08:40 2008

Feedback change...Does this now mean that when a buyer uses paypal and has a complaint that paypal will simply refund the buyer and the seller has no recourse? The seller will be out the money and the property. JUST WHAT RECOURSE WILL THE SELLER NOW HAVE?  Loke none it looks like. A person would think that what is fair for the buyer would also be fair to the seller. I do not understand the concept of the seller not being able leave negative feedback. Maybe someone can explain this.

by: Gene

Tue Jan 29 10:09:51 2008

Being micromanaged to death is one thing. This opens the door for jealous competitors to try to ruin business. I predict that St.Michale above me here will not be the 100% seller he brags about for long. He obviously doesn't sell something that can vary wildly in appraisal and or subjectivity. I do. I have a 99%+. I can see dropping to a 95 by this time next year.

by: Jake

Tue Jan 29 10:10:01 2008

That's insane!  What purpose is served by further alienating sellers.  One of their stated big financial concerns is the lower number of listings.  So how is this feedback situation going to help?

Basically, they are setting themselves up for a vicious circle of raising rates, placating buyers, etc. to compensate for declining sales (in numbers of auctions and dollar amounts sold).  It's a trap that can happen to people educated at our lamentable business schools (that aren't actually aware of how things work with real people and real money).

What kind of moron says 'hey, let's change one of the core features of our business model'?  I mean do they not know how to set up a focus group or do elementary polling of Sellers?  I assume they think like Buyers, because they personally occasionally buy stuff (never sell) so they only see that point of view.  Not what the shareholders would like to see in 6-7 figure salary people they have (mis-)managing their investment.

I rely on eBay for selling items that would be difficult to sell on Amazon Marketplace so I have to stay, but I don't have to sell any of the thousands of items there that I could sell on Amazon.  So I'm still selling just a lot less items than they would certainly like me to.

Jake

by: gadhgf

Tue Jan 29 10:10:11 2008

Ina, ask Donahoe point blank -- doesn't [[A] change [that] will both encourage repeat transactions and reward good service] also run the risk of giving buyers an uneven advantage to destroy a sellers reputation even more (that is, no that feedback is tied to advantaging and incentives) ... See if he gets it.

by: Smart Competitor

Tue Jan 29 10:14:31 2008

''I repeat, I have over 6300 feedbacks with no negatives.''

Michael,
What's your eBay handle so I can buy something from you and leave you a neg for no reason to ruin your feedback?  This is exactly what you competitors will do.

''You can boycott and complain until the cows come home - ebay is and always will be the most visited and successful online auction site in the world.''

Always??  That's a long time.  A lot of people probably thought the same thing about WorldCom, Ford, GM, etc.

by: Pam

Tue Jan 29 10:14:57 2008

I think this feedback change is an AWFUL idea!  The "feedback retaliation" issue is a two way street.

Sellers wait to leave feedback to make sure the buyer is happy with the item.  Sure there are questionable sellers out there in eBay land but there are just as many questionable buyers!

So what does a seller do if the buyer is a slow payer or tries to scam them with an "item not as represented" claim...they can't leave anything but a positive?  What if it isn't a positive experience?  Just leave no feedback at all?

If eBay is going to do something rediculous like this they might as well get rid of the feedback system all together...if both parties can't take equal action then it shouldn't be available.  Not at all fair when it is one sided!

Just stop the whole feedback thing and go to the "star rating system" for everyone.  That way the seller is rated on what eBay has established already and the buyers can be rated on 'timely payment', 'following seller conditions', or some such things.

I'm very proud of my 100% feedback in the high thousands and didn't have to hold retaliation over anyone's heads to get it!  But have had my share of run-ins with those buyers who are just out to cause trouble for someone!!  This change is going to give those troublemakers a free reign!

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51  [Next Page]