728_header.jpg (23748 bytes)
 Classifieds
 EKG
 Ratings

Tue Jan 29 2008 07:57:17

Upcoming Changes to Feedback on eBay

By: David Steiner

Feedback on eBay certainly has taken a few left turns since Pierre's initial concept that allowed trading partners to rate each other. In probably the most dramatic deviation, Sellers will no longer be allowed to leave Negative or Neutral feedback for Buyers. There are some other changes, which can be found here: http://pages.ebay.com/services/forum/new.html but this is the most interesting paragraph:

What changes are being made to the eBay Feedback system?

There are five key elements to the new Feedback system being introduced in the first half of 2008:

1. Beginning in February, buyers and sellers will be able to earn up to one Feedback per week from the same trading partner. Today, members may only affect each other's Feedback scores one time, regardless of the number of transactions between the parties. This change will both encourage repeat transactions and reward good service.
   2. Sellers will no longer be able to leave negative or neutral Feedback for buyers. This change will occur in May, 2008.
   3. Removal of negative and neutral Feedback left by members who are suspended or who fail to respond to the Unpaid Item Process (UPI).
   4. Positive Feedback percentage will be based on the past 12 months of Feedback, rather than lifetime, since it is most indicative of the seller's recent performance.
   5. Restrictions on when Feedback can be left:
          * Buyers must wait three days before leaving negative or neutral Feedback
          * Instead of 90 days, members will be able to leave Feedback for 60 days

----

We'll be speaking with John Donohoe later today, so if you have any specific questions, post them here before noon, and we'll try to incorporate the best ones in our interview.

Call 1-877-222-0856 and leave a 60 second message about what you think of these changes.

Reading AuctionBytes Blog: Upcoming Changes to Feedback on eBay

by: Alex

Wed Jan 30 20:45:19 2008
Here it is again. I will try and keep reposting to keep it fresh.

Here is the template to use to send to the news agencies. just copy and past to your email. send to these and any others you can think of.

ureport@foxnews.com
Nightly@NBC.com

Dear Sirs,

PLease take the time to investigate and report on the new Ebay Announcement regrading new sellers fees and Feedback.

We powersellers are united against these new unfair changes and are calling for a boycott of Ebay for the week of February 18th through February 25th, 2008.

Ebay stocks are now at their lowest point since 2003.

Please visit

ht
tp://blog.auctionbytes.com/cgi-bin/blog/blog.pl?/pl/2008/1/1201611437.html

The
changes that Ebay is going to implement will harm both Sellers and Buyers and this monopoly needs to be addressed.

Shareholders need to be aware of the bad business decisions Ebay is making.

Please take the time and report these issues to the public at large.

Thank you.
by: Alex

Wed Jan 30 21:10:18 2008
Another great idea is if everyone could give a rough idea on how much in fees they pay in a month and how many listings they have going per day.

That way it would help in letting eBay know what a conservative $$$ amount effect it will have on them if they do not change.
by: Platinum Powerseller!

Wed Jan 30 21:27:02 2008
I found out that even if you ship internationally via USPS express w/ tracking you are not covered under paypals protection plan. This so called seller protection for over 180 countries only offers protection if you have a trackable method of shipping. I was told if I ship with Express mail and it says anything but delivered in the City that its going to (like delivered abroad, delivered in france etc) than you will not be covered by seller protection. If the buyer signs for it than you are safe but that is local policy and the country you send it to decides if the buyer signs. So basically the only way to be covered is shipping $$$ Fedex UPS or DHL $$$ international which no buyer is going to pay for. So you have no protection internationally. That new seller protection program is a joke and does not offer any protection because buyers want the cheapest shipping possible sellers will be duped into losing thousands!
by: Chris Gilliam

Wed Jan 30 21:31:05 2008
I am an eBay Powerseller since 1998 with over 8,000 positive feedbacks. eBay, as we now know it, is over.  In 1998 I told my son, the stock trader, to buy eBay stock.  I thought it had amazing potential.  He said he doubted it and they would have lots of competitors
in the future.  I told him that because of the feedback system, they were unique.  I was right, until now.  The main reason to use them was for their feedback system. My guess is that perhaps 1/2% of sellers, if that, will agree with the new policy to not allow sellers to give negative feedback to buyers.   We have been crushed into a corners, as sellers.
The fees have climbed dramatically over the years, the credit card charge back system is also unfair and even Sotheby’s will not take credit cards, the star ratings are unfair, as no one thinks shipping charges are reasonable and now the final slam against the wall is the new feedback policy.  As sellers we are left vulnerable and unprotected.   This is how we earn a living.  Buyers don’t earn a living when they buy.   We have to spend money to purchase our products, pay for expensive packing materials, photo equipment, technicians, computers, labor, rent, storage, eBay fees and more.  All a buyer has to do is buy, yet they are given the upper hand.
Just as bad as the no negative for buyers is the fact that eBay lowered their insertion fee five cents and flipped us a quarter for gallery, but then will charge an 8% final value fee instead of the already inflated 5%. Add that to the PayPal fees or credit card fees and we, the sellers, are on the losing end.  On high ticket items this will be huge! Now add to this equation the fact that all buyers will hold all sellers hostage, the equivalent of the star system on steroids. eBay lied to the government about actually lowering fees in their reports This may signal the rebirth of the antique shop and we shall consign our items with brick and mortar auction houses who charge a 10% commission and we don’t have to do any of the work with no additional expenses. I’m sure the buyers are thrilled, but many buyers are also sellers, so this just might not be a good thing President Cobb.   All sellers need to contact Google to try
to convince them that we’ll jump the eBay Ship and go to them instantly.
by: Ginny

Wed Jan 30 21:43:10 2008
Alex, thanks for the template. I sent it on, though "Faux Gnus" :) (Fox News) isn't exactly my fav either. Also, let's all sign the petition (Google Petition Online Auction) which is growing at an astounding rate- read the 6000+ and growing comments suggesting Google start an online auction. Let's face it; we need an alternative as no one is making us do business with this tyrant called Ebay...
by: JoeJoeJoe

Wed Jan 30 21:46:09 2008
What is the google petition online auction?
by: Alex

Wed Jan 30 21:51:47 2008
I agree Chris this whole thing is a joke.

Just take a look at the DSR's for a seller who does nothing but have people download their items or are sent via email. Most of them have an automatic fnction that provides a link to download from.

These sellers charge no shipping and handling. Look at their DSR's and tell me if the buyers are correct.

There DSR's should 5.0 on shipping time and 5.0 on shipping charges. Yet you willse they are sometimes lower than 4.6 or 4.7!

It is ridiculous. If eBay had 1/2 a brain they could see that customers have no clue when it comes to these things and giving them more power will only upset the system even more.

Most buyers do not have a clue about how much it really costs to ship something. We use padded envelopes with packing peanuts. We also use delivery confirmation. In order to use DC it has to be at least 1st class parcel most of our postage cost alone is over $2.00 count the envelope, printing labels, employee time, gas costs to post office, etc and you are looking at easily almost $4.00

Yet the customer complains when you charge them $3.99 and claiming you are overcharging.

What really makes my blood boil is they see the s/h charge yet they buy anyway in order to complain later. Nobody twists their little arms. I am a buyer and if I am comfortable with the total price I am paying which includes s/h I would never ever complain later unless the item was not as described.

But we are the ones who are accused of retaliation by giving a buyer a negative when they give us an unfounded one.

If the buyer has a well founded case of item not as described then take it up with paypal and file a claim. Dont have buyers remorse later and take it out on us.

eBay is clueless what us sellers go through with customers. I for one have never been so stressed out in my life dealing with some of them.
by: Alex

Wed Jan 30 21:55:48 2008
I signed the google petition earlier today when it had about 3,500 so it is growing rapidly. I am sure the majority of those signing are eBay sellers too.

here is the link http://www.petitiononline.com/ga05/petition.html
by: Matt

Wed Jan 30 21:57:10 2008
Since they announced this new feedback and fee structure, eBay stock is declining, seller's are leaving eBay for other sites.  It is a sad state of affairs.  Whomever is in charge of eBay better do some serious thinking.  eBay is going to hades in a hand basket.  Investors are running scared as eBay stocks tank.  They are at the lowest they have been in years.  $26.00 a share.  They stock was as low as $25.00.  I suggest if you own stock in ebay, now is the time to sell!!  Get out before stocks hit the low 20's!!
by: carol

Wed Jan 30 22:04:08 2008
This doesn't bother me at all because I'M GONE!! BUH-BYE GREEDBAY!
by: Alex

Wed Jan 30 22:11:09 2008
The other thing we need to do is send info on our boycott etc to wall street execs. This will also have a big effect and cause the stocks to go down even more.

We need to get VIRAL Folks!

Think of some more and lets do it!
by: MIKE

Wed Jan 30 22:26:53 2008
EBAY STOCKHOLDERS SELL YOUR STOCK BEFORE GOES TO 10 DOLLARS (or less) SELLERS LET'S  GO ON STRIKE FEB 18 TO 25.
UNITED WE'LL WIN
by: Gold PowerSeller

Wed Jan 30 22:30:55 2008
I am a seller and I am a buyer too. I would hate to hurt other Ebay sellers, but I can't imagine supporting Ebay as a buyer.
by: Polly

Wed Jan 30 22:36:19 2008
Hey, that petition is incredible. It's already up to 5823 signatures. Was that just initiated in response to this announcement? WoW!

Feeling a little guilty, though, my name somehow signed twice. My browser didn't land the first time and I refreshed it; I guess that's why.

We need to keep the url for this petition alive in this blog by reposting it periodically. More people may come later and we want their signatures too.

Boy! That petition really has to send a strong message to Google.

Hey Google, IF YOU BUILD IT WE WILL COME!
by: 2 Fellas

Wed Jan 30 22:37:10 2008
Seriously, where do eBay sellers come from? Are you people aware of the free-market system? Are many of you able to make it the real world as business owners? Why all of these PETTY complaints about not being able to rate a buyer? The buyer is the the source for whom all of this exist. Her dollar is what eBay was meant to help legitimate sellers' collect. Who cares about the buyer's feedback rating? The most important aspect is that the buyer supply the dollar, when he or she is supposed to. The new eBay system will monitor that properly. The buyer is not beholden to the seller in any way, if the seller's actions reduce the quality of the transaction. The buyer is not required to please the buyer. The seller is offering a an item and a service that  is intended to please the buyer, for a specified amount of money. In the real world, no business likely is always 100%. It's a running falsity that some sellers are petulant in wanting to maintain a blinding shade in sight of reality. Sellers and buyers are PEOPLE interacting. Multitudes of people interacting across any venue will always lead to conflicts or disagreements. That's a part of life. We accept that and move on. This constant insistence my some sellers that some of us buyers are always at fault is absurd. Hopefully, eBay's new policies will cause those whiny pouting sellers to pick up roots.  People spend their money will find someone who wants it on eBay, so your silly ''Blocked Bidders' List'' and other rules for which buyers can give you money are a genuine waste of time. For each dollar that you potentially turn away, there are other hands waiting to grab it. I honestly believe that some of the sellers on eBay need to realize that without the buyer (customer), all of the rest is moot.
by: robin

Wed Jan 30 22:38:46 2008
WHY BOTHER WITH FEEBAY, SCREWBAY ANY LONGER?
CHECK HERE:
With these changes, Ebay prices itself out of the market.  If you are a new seller considering Ebay, consider the following:

Ebay = hefty listing fees
Amazon = zero listing fees

Ebay/Paypal = 15% FVFs all categories
Amazon = 15% in some, but 7% in best cats (like electronics)

Ebay = Fixed price (store) listings are mostly ignored in search
Amazon = All listings get same search treatment

Ebay/Paypal = qualified seller protections
Amazon = universal seller protection

Ebay = un-level playing field for sellers - new sellers get poor placement
Amazon = all sellers get same search treatment

Ebay = continuous spam and phishing emails
Amazon = zero spam and phishing emails

Amazon = Good customer service which can be reached
Ebay
Ebay = continuing erosion of average selling prices
Amazon = much higher average selling prices.

Add in the hassle that ebay changes the  rules twice year, raises fees twice a year, hassles sellers with Trust/Safty, PayPal Security, Vero, Tagging seller's listings with (off-ebay) competitor ads, cannot control spam and phishing  emails, Ebay just isn't a good deal.
by: Feed Up

Wed Jan 30 23:00:38 2008
I may not be a power seller but I have been with ebay starting in Aug 2001. I have 1582 lifetime feedback with 1 negative and have a percentage of 99.9 and I have had it. Bidville here I come. I stopped buying on Ebay about 6 months ago when I finally got tired of the shill bidders (sellers) who had nailed my last 2 items I was bidding on and then had the gall to email with a 2nd chance offer. I was just starting to list some things again the last 3 weeks and was doing fairly well but this last round of idiot changes have stopped me cold. As of NOW I will no longer list anything on Ebay nor will I buy anything there. On April 30 I will delete all stock that I have on Half dot com and then close out my Ebay/Half account and my PayPal account. Enough is Enough. I am on my way now to add my name to the Google petition. Alex.. I think your great. Please let us know where you will be setting up shop. I sure would like to be one of your customers!
by: MIng the Merciless

Wed Jan 30 23:06:16 2008
Frack off, John and Bill 2 fellas.

You obviously know Jack about the topics you so arrogantly pontificate about.

The latest incarnation of St. Michael and Sister Rebecca or a couple of others we can all easily identify.
by: No Fear PowerSeller!

Wed Jan 30 23:09:30 2008
Although a boycott sounds like such a right idea. I doubt it seriously that your going to accomplish it on this board. You have to act like a soldier on the battlefield.  I have seen too many attempts to boycott and they are ill-prepared and driven by angry emotion. They all fail!

Take a deep breath it will never work the way most are suggesting on this board. You boycott the people, companies and other infrastructure that support Ebay even if they are innocent. Sound weird?

One area you can begin is with how you purchase your business to business supplies. It's a fact that shipping supplies are used by nearly every seller on Ebay. You boycott the companies that offer office supplies, shipping supplies, office equipment, office furniture and other business related products.Sound cruel?

Ebay makes a killing on these merchants.  These merchants will be forced into e-commerce stores where I will give them my absolute loyal and repeat business. It will be more effective than not listing your products for a day. I guarantee it.

To be more effective let these merchants know why your doing this either in the feedback you leave them on your last purchase or my dropping them in email.

If you remain just on the Internet then its all just chatter. That is probably why you don't see protests anymore. Everybody justs chatters on newsboards and blogs in the comfort of their living rooms.

Take down the support pillars and you will hear more voices and see more action.

You can email the nightly news all night long, but you have to realize who pays for these networks to be on the air. Why would anybody bite the hand that feeds them. Get busy!

Use the power of You Tube. Its a great neutralizer for the little guy and its own by Google, Ebay's arch rival. Show video how you have been impacted by Ebays poor decisions. Show charts, show where you will purchase your office supplies.

by: Take it slow

Wed Jan 30 23:13:20 2008
STAY ON EBAY - AND - MOVE WHAT YOU CAN TO OTHER SITES.

BE SURE TO MENTION TO YOUR EBAY CUSTOMERS THAT YOUR MERCHANDISE IS FEATURED ON ANOTHER SITE TOO... EVEN AT A SLIGHTLY BETTER PRICE.

DON'T MERELY REMOVE ONE SELLER FROM EBAY BY QUITTING RIGHT AWAY.  TAKE EBAY BUYERS WITH YOU TOO!
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51  [Next Page]

buyersmarket2aaa2.JPG (7729 bytes)