Tue Jan 29 2008 07:57:17

Upcoming Changes to Feedback on eBay

By: David Steiner

Feedback on eBay certainly has taken a few left turns since Pierre's initial concept that allowed trading partners to rate each other. In probably the most dramatic deviation, Sellers will no longer be allowed to leave Negative or Neutral feedback for Buyers. There are some other changes, which can be found here: http://pages.ebay.com/services/forum/new.html but this is the most interesting paragraph:

What changes are being made to the eBay Feedback system?

There are five key elements to the new Feedback system being introduced in the first half of 2008:

1. Beginning in February, buyers and sellers will be able to earn up to one Feedback per week from the same trading partner. Today, members may only affect each other's Feedback scores one time, regardless of the number of transactions between the parties. This change will both encourage repeat transactions and reward good service.
   2. Sellers will no longer be able to leave negative or neutral Feedback for buyers. This change will occur in May, 2008.
   3. Removal of negative and neutral Feedback left by members who are suspended or who fail to respond to the Unpaid Item Process (UPI).
   4. Positive Feedback percentage will be based on the past 12 months of Feedback, rather than lifetime, since it is most indicative of the seller's recent performance.
   5. Restrictions on when Feedback can be left:
          * Buyers must wait three days before leaving negative or neutral Feedback
          * Instead of 90 days, members will be able to leave Feedback for 60 days

----

We'll be speaking with John Donohoe later today, so if you have any specific questions, post them here before noon, and we'll try to incorporate the best ones in our interview.

Call 1-877-222-0856 and leave a 60 second message about what you think of these changes.

by: Alex

Wed Jan 30 13:01:26 2008

Here is the template to use to send to the news agencies. just copy and past to your email. send to these and any others you can think of.

ureport@foxnews.com
Nightly@NBC.com

Dear Sirs,

PLease take the time to investigate and report on the new Ebay Announcement regrading new sellers fees and Feedback.

We powersellers are united against these new unfair changes and are calling for a boycott of Ebay for the week of February 18th through February 25th, 2008.

Ebay stocks are now at their lowest point since 2003.

Please visit

ht
tp://blog.auctionbytes.com/cgi-bin/blog/blog.pl?/pl/2008/1/1201611437.html

The
changes that Ebay is going to implement will harm both Sellers and Buyers and this monopoly needs to be addressed.

Shareholders need to be aware of the bad business decisions Ebay is making.

Please take the time and report these issues to the public at large.

Thank you.

by: Ming

Wed Jan 30 13:13:23 2008

Sells no longer leave feedback for buyer! - This is the worst change ever! It's Insane and not fair for seller!!! If this is what gonna happen, sellers won't care about their feedback  and customer service anymore! and won't give buyers any refund for compensation if sellers know they are not getting a good feedback in return anyway!
This is just not doing any good at all!

by: drew

Wed Jan 30 13:14:39 2008

ARE YOU BRAINIACS AT ebay LISTENING !

Why would I want to ever leave feedback for my buyers now - maybe ebay can just do it for me!

If this policy is enacted - after 9+ years - I will be taking another look at the other auction sites!

I give ebay a big negative feedback for this douche bag of an idea!

Without free expression of each parties viewpoint their can be no balance!

by: Deborah Baca

Wed Jan 30 13:23:44 2008

John Donohoe is full of crap and is a liar and out of touch with EVERYTHING about ebay. He is in a eBay bubble and can't see whats really happening with the sellers who make eBay what they have become and sellers can take it away. I listened to GROSS LIEING SPEACH on the internet and I horrified by the way he thinks things are for the eBay community. He is a bigh liar and I hope eBay keeps making horrible decisions and dies a slow death.

by: drew

Wed Jan 30 13:28:26 2008

Ebay is raising the first tier of the Final Value Fee (FVF) from 5.25% to 8.75% - a whopping 3.50% increase !

Wow thanks a lot ebay - way to stick it to the sellers!

by: MB

Wed Jan 30 13:33:12 2008

UK user here.

Are there any popular US auction sites except eBay? There are a few UK ones, but most of my stuff goes to the US anyway, so what alternative sites do you have?

by: donna

Wed Jan 30 13:33:27 2008

I sell on EBAY in a very competitive market.  What happens when my competitors open new ID's just to neg me and run me out of town?

by: robert

Wed Jan 30 13:39:48 2008

IF YOU WANT TO GET BACK AT EBAY, HIT THEM WHERE IT HURTS, POCKET BOOK.

JUST TYPE ''EBAY'' IN THE GOOGLE SEARCH BAR AND CLICK EBAYS PAID LINK.  EVERY CLICK COSTS THEM A FEW BUCKS.

I KNOW IT MAKES ME FEEL BETTER.

by: Eric

Wed Jan 30 13:44:06 2008

*********************************

l=EBAY&CP=0&PT=7

Ebay's stock is in freefall.  The shareholders know what these changes are going to do to the company.  Now let's voice OUR opinion with our merchandise strength (sellers) and our dollar (buyers) on Feb. 18th thru Feb.25th.

*********************************

by: bryan

Wed Jan 30 13:45:24 2008

This is the most horribly unfair change in policy Ebay has ever devised. Buyers have now been handed a loaded gun while sellers have been asked to use an empty one. I hope Ebay is inundated by angry sellers over this. Sellers already get a high proportion of unfair feedbacks from buyers who don't bother to contact them about a problem, don't read the auction details, don't understand the purpose of feedback, or are just plain spiteful. Buyers will now be able to blackmail sellers with impunity. Amazon.com here I come. Bill Cobbs say goodbye to one of your best cash cows! Moooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!

by: Barbara

Wed Jan 30 13:46:29 2008

Why do the sellers not contact each other by email & set up our own feedback for buyers outside ebay with enail group alerts being sent out when you get a dodgy buyer

by: tula

Wed Jan 30 13:48:40 2008

I wouldn't mind these feedback changes at all, if eBay would make one small change:
Don't let anyone post feedback until after the buyer has paid for the item (indicated by a PayPal payment or by the seller noting that payment has been made).  Then, there would be much less chance of extortion.  Yes, there would still be a risk, but it would weed out most of the knee-jerk/bad mood negative FBs.  I believe Amazon requires payment before feedback can be left.

I would be happy with the  new FB if this were the case. The new fees, on the other hand, are going to be tough for a smaller seller like me to absorb, especially with the diminished sell-through and profit margins I've been seeing in the past couple of years.

And I'm also concerned about the lack of PayPal protections for us smaller sellers.  All sellers should receive the same PayPal protections (since we all pay the same % in fees, don't we?) not just PowerSellers.  It seems they don't think much of us little guys, the ones who helped get eBay to where it is now :-(

by: laura

Wed Jan 30 13:49:35 2008

You know as a seller I have had to manage all the crap I get from unscrupulous buyers. It’s amazing how many try extortion techniques. I think we must be in the silent majority. That there are A LOT of sellers who don't bring the problem buyers to Ebay attention.  I never thought they would help……but the need to too. There customer service is the worst but they expect so much from us. Too bad we can't become a union hu?

Does anyone else feel that way? That any complaint that we make as a Seller will fall on deaf ears, that we have no say, yet carry all the responsibility?  That we alone have to deal with problem buyers and are left to feel that are only option is always just refund there money. That there is no real place to go to get balanced help.

We never had anything….just the ability to leave a little plus or minus mark. But now that too has been taken away. How sad is that?

by: whyOwhy?

Wed Jan 30 13:54:31 2008

MB, I have no experience with these other sites, I don't know if you can use them as you're based in UK, but here are all the ones that I know:
amazon, google base, ioffer, blujay, bidville, ola, ziot, wagglepop, treasuresales, powersellersunite store,ecrater, ebid, onlineauction.

Alex - thanks for the template & email addresses of media.

Rebecca - what's up with you, girl? You seem amazingly bitter against eBay sellers! How did it get so personal for you? Is it jealousy - or did you get bit by one?

by: tula

Wed Jan 30 13:56:14 2008

Barbara has a great idea.  I think an independent site with listings of bad buyers (validated with copies of the buyer's extortion emails and such) is a great idea.  There would need to be a way for sellers to add new problem buyers or add "points" to existing bad buyers.  This is how a lot of the spam black lists work.  A quick search feature would allow sellers to check bidders or the list could simply be added to blocked bidder lists.

by: whyOwhy

Wed Jan 30 14:01:53 2008

UK user - I'm not familiar with these sites, don't know if a UK user can use them, but here are all the ones that I know: google base, amazon, ebid, online auction, ecrater, wigglepop, ziot, ola, blujay, bidville, ioffer, treasuresales, powersellersunite store. Also craigslist, but eBay owns most of that, I think. Don't know if there's a UK craigslist.

Alex - thanks for the template and email addresses! I've already sent an email.

Rebecca - Why and where did it get so personal for you? Looks like you need a chill pill, girl!

by: Ebay-sellers

Wed Jan 30 14:02:50 2008

Seller will no longer have any protection. I've got buyers threatened to get what they wanted when something is not up to their taste! In order to keep my 100% feedback, I've done all I can to help up to this day. But what rights will the sellers have after you guys make the changes? I won't be able to warn other sellers about bad buyers?!
Ebay just doesn't know what they're doing! I will definitely have my own website up and leave you forever!

by: gg

Wed Jan 30 14:04:28 2008

For those who tend to stick around, THINK ABOUT OPENING A STORE! store items run for 30 days & the insert fee is from .5-.11, gallery is .1 cent & fvf is .10 but the good thing is....it will cost eBay big bucks & loss if you do that in the long run!
I have over 500 items in my store & only run 10 auctions as "store bate" store only cost 15.99/mo & you'll be saving in the long run...trust me!

by: Angela M

Wed Jan 30 14:07:36 2008

"Does anyone else feel that way? That any complaint that we make as a Seller will fall on deaf ears, that we have no say, yet carry all the responsibility?  That we alone have to deal with problem buyers and are left to feel that are only option is always just refund there money."

laura - yes, I agree. That's exactly what it will be like. Definitely not worth it!! I'm closing my eBay store and searching for other online  venues.

by: JRK

Wed Jan 30 14:09:48 2008

Sounds like a good idea in theory. Unfortunately, there are too many ebay trolls out there lurking in every corner just waiting for the chance to pounce on a seller. The sellers would be ripe for their picking if they had names on a mailing list!

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51  [Next Page]