Tue Jan 29 2008 07:57:17

Upcoming Changes to Feedback on eBay

By: David Steiner

Feedback on eBay certainly has taken a few left turns since Pierre's initial concept that allowed trading partners to rate each other. In probably the most dramatic deviation, Sellers will no longer be allowed to leave Negative or Neutral feedback for Buyers. There are some other changes, which can be found here: http://pages.ebay.com/services/forum/new.html but this is the most interesting paragraph:

What changes are being made to the eBay Feedback system?

There are five key elements to the new Feedback system being introduced in the first half of 2008:

1. Beginning in February, buyers and sellers will be able to earn up to one Feedback per week from the same trading partner. Today, members may only affect each other's Feedback scores one time, regardless of the number of transactions between the parties. This change will both encourage repeat transactions and reward good service.
   2. Sellers will no longer be able to leave negative or neutral Feedback for buyers. This change will occur in May, 2008.
   3. Removal of negative and neutral Feedback left by members who are suspended or who fail to respond to the Unpaid Item Process (UPI).
   4. Positive Feedback percentage will be based on the past 12 months of Feedback, rather than lifetime, since it is most indicative of the seller's recent performance.
   5. Restrictions on when Feedback can be left:
          * Buyers must wait three days before leaving negative or neutral Feedback
          * Instead of 90 days, members will be able to leave Feedback for 60 days

----

We'll be speaking with John Donohoe later today, so if you have any specific questions, post them here before noon, and we'll try to incorporate the best ones in our interview.

Call 1-877-222-0856 and leave a 60 second message about what you think of these changes.

by: Eric

Wed Jan 30 02:31:46 2008

I think ebay is creating the perfect storm here.  As has been stated here a hundred times - no sellers, no marketplace.  And this is quite true, I've noticed the listing count on many ebay categories steadily decrease last year.

But imagine this decline in sellers you've precipitated, coupled with a mob of extortionists and other theives flocking to ebay.  I have had more phony claims of missing items, etc. than I care to recall.  I shudder to think what would happen if the protection of feedback leverage WEREN'T in place.

Much like a ghetto, the good people, the earners (I.e. sellers), will mostly be gone, while the criminals and con-men run free.  Thank you for the advance warning of this change ebay, 4 months is plenty of time for me to leave this neighborhood.

by: Deb

Wed Jan 30 02:32:49 2008

Taking away a sellers opinion of a buyer is not going to increase sales. I will be forced to restrict bidders I would normally allow, with the current feedback protection. I will no longer allow bidders with less than 25 feedback's and will probably block all international bidders, since they seem to complain and threaten the most about slow delivery time. I will also be forced to require immediate payment to paypal members only ... reducing the bids of those who prefer to pay by money order. Feedback will no longer protect sellers from dead beat and remorseful bidders, so sellers will be forced to screen and block many potential bidders. Buyers ARE NOT the ones who take the BIGGEST risk in an eBay transaction, since ALL members have to register. I think eBay should assure HONEST bidders by requiring them to verify themselves like sellers have to. That would balance the RISK better than restricting a sellers feedback privlidges. eBay doesn't seem to value their sellers but instead, prefer to just REAP the INCREASED final value fees from buyers. I will no longer leave feedback PERIOD.

by: Beth M.

Wed Jan 30 02:34:44 2008

It is amazing that eBay would even consider this. Someone else said this might be a big smokescreen to take the heat off the fee increases. Either way - it stinks!

There are MANY viable options out there now. eBay used to be the only fish in the sea. Many sellers are happy with Amazon, as well as WP. WP has gone to an all-store format, so there won't be any more sellers who stop by, list two computers they don't have and leave!

Also, an option many don't even know about is PowerSellersUnite stores. Yep - they offer hosted stores. It takes more work to set up, but there is a flat monthly "rent" for unlimited items, and NO FVF's. You can choose to allow customers to leave comments and item ratings or not, and they are with the ITEM, not amassed in a feedback area.

The FB system has been flawed for a long time. I don't see this as any sort of fix. Any seller who has been in biz for longer than a year knows these guidelines are set up for failure. Priority mail takes 3 or more days - IF they extend the waiting time to leave FB to ten days, then they might have actually helped something. That gives time for the buyer to actually RECEIVE the item, and perhaps (*gasp!*) contact the seller if there was a problem! While we'd all like to think everyone lives on line, I imagine I am among the minority who has the chair outline imprinted in their behind! Some sellers are trying to build a business to go to so they can leave their 9-5 job. A buyer might just have to wait until the kids have dinner before they get a response. Sure, I'd like to hear back on questions within an hour all the time, but real life happens, and it is unpredictable.

However, I DO predict that Michael won't have that 100% for long after May. Michael, there are PLENTY of sellers who do everything right. However, until eBay takes on the task of educating a buyer on realistic expectations when shopping on line, they'll always want more for less - eBay has conditioned them to think that way. I've been selling for five yrs on eBay, and have a total of 7 negs in thousands of trxs. I only deserved one of them (when I had just started selling - I didn't understand the buyer's shipping addy, and was too green to know where to go to figure it out!). The rest were from buyers whose sole purpose seemed to be to screw with new sellers who didn't know any better! One was from a tshirt that the buyer insisted I'd sent in the wrong size. Since I only had ONE, that was impossible. I offered a prompt refund upon return of the shirt. But this lil' scammer (who I would not be able to leave a neg for as of May) wanted his money AND the shirt! I got a neg for not refunding him in full AND letting him keep the shirt.

Sure, there are stinky sellers out there, but these latest rounds of "new guidelines" hurt no one but the ones who pay the bills.

I have a PSU store now and while the learning curve was a bit much for me, I stuck it out, and love it. If I have a question, I can pretty much get help within 24 hrs, often within hours. eBay?  Pffft! It took them a YEAR to fix a problem on my account with logging into groups. Yep - a YEAR. It took three months to fix a billing problem, and I am still working getting a Paypal problem fixed - my verified addy (been verified for several yrs now) suddenly showing up as unverified to sellers. I've had a few responses, but none of them has really fixed the problem.

This change will not change all buyers into honest ones, any more than the star system suddenly gave a conscious to the scamming sellers!  There will still be those buyers who either just don't understand the real process of buying from eBay, or who just hope to get something for nothing - keep the product and do a chargeback too. The only real thing to happen from this FB change will be that the honest sellers who value their reputation will move elsewhere. (Those mega-sellers aren't really affected if 100 people a month leave negs - we can see that because they are still selling with no restrictions. eBay continues to have a blind eye to the power sellers who have no problem with drop shipping, giving non-existant customer svc (learned from eBay?!), poor packaging and cheap products. As long as the bucks keep rolling in, eBay will have on the rose-colored glasses.

The trouble is - eventually they will run low on new sellers who don't know any better!  And, as the other venues become more and more viable (and SELLERS have the power to build up any other venue, just like they did eBay), Da Bay will be in a lesser position to bargain.

I might even listen to their reasoning behind all these fee increases too, if they hadn't in the same week told me how Meggie is going to get a fat 600K a year just for a BOD position! Guess who pays for that?

I will give Meg kudos for having a sharp business nose - she knows how far she can push people, knows that many will gripe and still stay, and also apparently knows the smell of site rot when it happens...and is leaving. Heck, if I had a fat check guarantee from eBay just to stick around and watch its demise, I'd do it too.

Some mentioned a boycott. That was tried in the Aug06 store fee fiascos. All that did was get a lot of sellers blocked, pizzeled-off and little else happened. They didn't back off on the fees, but they DID put some sellers (yours truly included) behind the black curtain on the unplugged server, never to be seen in a search result again! Ha! I can laugh now, because I am over my grieving for my eBay store that I closed. Did I mention that all the while my hundreds of store items never showed up in searches after I participated in the boycott, that they continued to bill me in full every month?  Yup - paid for full visibility, only to have a semi truck parked in front of my store, so to speak.

So, boycott away - they won't care. There are enough newbies trying their hand at ecommerce every day to keep eBay's pockets lined. But, the sellers who can really produce, and know how to take care of customers will be migrating elsewhere. This time, there are PLENTY of places to migrate too!  : )

Yes, Virginia, there IS life after eBay!

by: Meg

Wed Jan 30 02:42:13 2008

OVERSTOCK.COM just better look out for a windfall of new sellers from eBay, in the next couple of months!!

by: Beth M.

Wed Jan 30 02:44:48 2008

Comment from Ben:
" I'M A GOLD POWERSELLER ON 2 ACCOUNTS, AND I'M SWITCHING EVERYTHING OVER TO Amazon.com, uBid.com, Overstock.com, Craigslist, and my own Webstore"

Um, Ben, I agree with your theory to put the eBay fee money into advertising, BUT - eBay recently bought most of Craigslist. Chalk them off your list too!  ;  )

by: Liz

Wed Jan 30 02:45:22 2008

"I will give Meg kudos for having a sharp business nose - she knows how far she can push people, knows that many will gripe and still stay, and also apparently knows the smell of site rot when it happens...and is leaving. Heck, if I had a fat check guarantee from eBay just to stick around and watch its demise, I'd do it too!"
----------------
Now that was PRICELESS, Beth!

by: Polly

Wed Jan 30 02:46:21 2008

This new feedback change is an OUTRAGE!  We are like lambs being led to the slaughter.

The root problem here is that Ebay is a virtual monopoly, and they know it. They can do anything they want and they know that we sellers have no recourse, and no place else to go... no other comparable auction site, anyway. They think they own us.

Ideally, what we need is for a new auction site to emerge and compete directly against ebay. A major company like IBM or Google or any company that can afford to mass advertise ahead of time (particularly on television) to draw in business. This would be the ideal time for them to do it. At this point I think that sellers would flock to it in droves, and the buyers would follow shortly after.

Personally, I feel NO sense of loyalty whatsoever to eBay. I intend to jump ship as soon as I can and look back only once -- on that beautiful day when the ebay corporation crumbles to the ground.

by: SS

Wed Jan 30 02:46:44 2008

We common not left negative to buyer. They most happy and only neg on some item. But neg is base on look like unfair reason. Ex: item ship too late.
We ship over sea world wide. There are 2-3 week to process. All items are registered. Can eBay open "Protect seller from negative+natural program" ? We can improved by insert tracking number to buyer item note. Let's buyer and eBay can check item(s) had ship out online on Internet.
Buyer have fully protect from Paypal. Open Win-Win situation would be fair on market deals. Ebay and Buyer can check item shipping out only. Because of 70% of items registered can't check all delivered status online in time manner of buyer to left negative by 3 days. Because of 99.95% of items don't use 3 days Super Espress air-mail Charge about $500 per 100 grams.

Please concern about new buyer Zero feedback trick. They can use 5 credit cards to register 50 ID to buy and left Neg to seller that sold 800 items per month to suspended from eBay.  We need your protect from seller in good customer service and provide more information to customers. Since eBay called as safe market place.

Sincerely yours.
June.

by: July

Wed Jan 30 02:51:16 2008

HUH? What were you saying June?

by: supplementseller

Wed Jan 30 02:53:26 2008

I am a gold powerseller in Belgium for a year now with a 100% positive feedback of 3300. I will give my username to the one who asks, but not here.

Please hear my thoughts about your proposal, Mr Donahue.

One, Buyers will be more honest when they leave Feedback since they will not fear retaliatory negative Feedback.

TRUE, AND THEY WILL BE AWARE OF THEIR LEVERAGED POWER AND WILL USE IT AGAINST THE SELLERS WHO WON'T OBEY THEIR DEMANDS. NOBODY CARES ABOUT THE BUYER BEING REASONABLE, WHAT MATTERS IS THAT THE SELLER MUST OBEY IN ANY CASE. IS THAT SO GREAT?

Two, Buyers will bid more and higher since their trust in the Feedback system and the sellers will increase.

A BUYER SEARCHES FOR THE ONE THAT OFFERS HIS ITEM AND WITH THE BETTER FEEDBACK. WHO IS CHOSEN NOW, WILL BE CHOSEN IN THE FUTURE BECAUSE THE SYSTEM WILL CHANGE FOR ALL SELLERS. THIS WILL NOT MAKE THE BUYER BID MORE ALL OF A SUDDEN, DUMMY.

Three, Our best performing sellers will be able to differentiate themselves from all other sellers and increase the amount of business they receive as buyers gravitate towards them.
TRUE IN A PERFECT WORLD. WHO WILL BE DIFFERENTIATED TOO, AND YOU MUST AGREE, ARE THE ONES THAT DON'T OR DO ENCOUNTER A LOT OF MALICIOUS BUYERS.

Four, Sellers will leave Feedback upon payment more often in order to increase their chance of receiving positive Feedback.

YES, AND THAT IS VERY IMPORTANT...?

by: Asad

Wed Jan 30 03:13:03 2008

This is simply stupid of ebay that sellers can't leave neg/neut feedback. They forgot that its sellers who keep ebay running by paying listing fees and Final value fees.
in Last six mths we receive so many emails from customers asking our best prices on ebay or for discounts, which offcourse are not possible, this means if all those people buy itmes from us at normal price they will leave negative because price was not right.
Good luck ebay. Google this is your chance to jump in with your auction site.

by: Polly

Wed Jan 30 03:26:14 2008

I've got the PERFECT name for a new auction site. With this name it would be a success right from the start.

The name is: ''NOT ebay.com''

by: Long-Time PowerSeller

Wed Jan 30 03:33:43 2008

Well I have been on eBay since 1999, am a Silver Tier PowerSeller, and have over 17,000 feedbacks with a 100% positive rating.

After reading the new feedback policy I will no longer be listing on eBay in just a few months of some inventory sell off. The rest I am moving to a couple of other sites. I have already had a LOT of success elsewhere on items that eBay no longer allows to be listed on their site.

Goodbye eBay, you are no longer the site I used to love and made thousands of dollars on. This includes the $500-$600+ per month in fees that I pay. I will be taking all of my business elsewhere in the very near future, all thanks to you and your insane polices, which now leave a seller completely vulnerable to feedback extortion and other abuses. Since you will no longer look out for those who have made you the success you have achieved over the years you will now reap what you sow.

by: spencer (obama) jackson

Wed Jan 30 04:18:52 2008

ANOTHER HUGE STEP IN GETTING RID OF THE SMALL SELLERS WHO WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ABSORB ALL THE NEGS THAT WILL COME AS RESULT OF THIS UNDERHANDED MOVE. ALSO TO MOVE THE BIGGERS SELLERS ITEM TO THE FOREFRONT WHILE THE SMALL SELLERS THINGS WILL BE PUT IN THE BARGAIN BASEMENT PROBLY LABELED(POOR SELLERS ITEMS) WHY DO THEY HAVE THE POWER TO CHANGE PEOPLES LIVES OVERNIGHT , THE GOV SHOULD STEP IN And slap a class action on them and have them become accountable for the havoc they create. now we have a new clown running things meg was bad enough  sounds like this guy is setting ebay up for some huge fundemental problem.

by: Rebecca

Wed Jan 30 04:24:52 2008

Hahahahah! As a seller, I fled eBay long ago. However, now that the feedback process will be buyer oriented, I will feel much more comfortable as a buyer. It currently takes about 5 years for a regular buyer to learn how NOT to get ripped off on eBay. Soon, the sleaziest sellers will be negged right out of the market.

They have a similar system on Amazon.com. If you're a marketplace seller on Amazon, your descriptions have to be correct, and you have to tow the line or you'll be negged out of the competition. One more thing eBay needs to do: set standard shipping prices, depending on items. They need to stop letting sellers choose their own shipping costs and methods. Real businesses,  like Amazon.com, are buyer oriented.

Not all of you are greedy, lazy money-grubbing thieves, but the those of you who are--Ha! Your business is about to go right out the window. Time to start looking for  %@$@&*  job.

Best,

Rebecca

by: Devastated Donna

Wed Jan 30 04:30:01 2008

Hello, I have been selling since 1998 on eBay. I knew the latest rate hike was a red flag. Ebay has added yet another loop hole, a way for the SELLER to lose. Paypal was one.

Ask: How will the seller know the BUYER is worthy? If a buyer says items are repeatedly lost, never delivered, broken, how will the seller know? Who leaves the most ridiculous neg feedback? (New comers.) Who educates the new? How does site security effect your new comers? Isnt it true new sellers and buyers are repeatedly offened by hackers. Isnt it true they lose control of accounts and even identity? Isnt this why new people leave eBay everyday? FB rating hardly compares does it? What if you followed the newcomers and helped them more, controlled FB?

Sellers help sellers. I have depended on it, I have been more patient, understanding, and also forwarned to not waste my time. Know that even the most perfect seller will pay the price, mark my word.

IF This new FB forum will point out bad sellers,,,why do some of your power sellers have 600-1000 negs now? Why does eBay allow that? Isnt it true you will delete those FB after 12 months, who will that help? You will still get YOUR money, The neg seller and buyer gets a break, and dishonesty will prevail.

What would your rating be?? Mr eBay? How would you feel if we all graded you? YOU would probably censor your message boards, ban the opinions of others, delete. Oops you already do that dont you? Yes, phone numbers links and comments.

I have read posted comments for 5 hours now, cant sleep. Its quite alarming the amount of sellers that are leaving if you do not have change of heart/sanity I too will say farewell.

DD

by: Rebecca

Wed Jan 30 04:32:11 2008

I challenge all of you sniveling sellers to attach your ebay ID to your posts. That way we can hunt you down and find out exactly WHY you have so many ''malicious buyers.'' Chances are you sell shoddy merchandise with a ''no returns'' policy.

What's the matter-'fraidy cat?

Best,

Rebecca

by: danang0_0

Wed Jan 30 04:45:13 2008

i agree with the changes, i'm mostly a buyer on ebay and have had a couple of bad deals with these so called power sellers,they think because they are power sellers they can get away with pissing buyers about, WELL DONE EBAY

by: Just Another Ebay Victim

Wed Jan 30 04:58:07 2008

EVERYONE!!!  HERE IS WHAT WE CAN DO!

LET'S SHOW THE WORLD JUST HOW EBAY TREATS THEIR SELLERS!

This will only take 5 minutes. Everybody send a quick email to the following email addresses for FOX NEWS and NBC News:

ureport@foxnews.com
Nightly@NBC.com

Just say something in the email title line about a situation or development going on regarding eBay, and in the body of the email give them these addresses:

11437.html

That's it! Hopefully we can get the word out to other sellers, eBay investors, potential eBay competition, and to eBay itself.

If you add a comment to this AuctionBytes blog, keep this request alive by including it in your blog posting. The more people that see it, and contact the news companies, the better.

by: Denise

Wed Jan 30 05:07:37 2008

Hey Rebecca, since you're calling all of us fraidy cats, why don't you show us YOUR ebay ID? I'm sure a lot of people here would just love to know it ;) C'mon, give it up. You don't want to be the pot calling the kettle black do you?

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51  [Next Page]