Tue Jan 29 2008 07:57:17

Upcoming Changes to Feedback on eBay

By: David Steiner

Feedback on eBay certainly has taken a few left turns since Pierre's initial concept that allowed trading partners to rate each other. In probably the most dramatic deviation, Sellers will no longer be allowed to leave Negative or Neutral feedback for Buyers. There are some other changes, which can be found here: http://pages.ebay.com/services/forum/new.html but this is the most interesting paragraph:

What changes are being made to the eBay Feedback system?

There are five key elements to the new Feedback system being introduced in the first half of 2008:

1. Beginning in February, buyers and sellers will be able to earn up to one Feedback per week from the same trading partner. Today, members may only affect each other's Feedback scores one time, regardless of the number of transactions between the parties. This change will both encourage repeat transactions and reward good service.
   2. Sellers will no longer be able to leave negative or neutral Feedback for buyers. This change will occur in May, 2008.
   3. Removal of negative and neutral Feedback left by members who are suspended or who fail to respond to the Unpaid Item Process (UPI).
   4. Positive Feedback percentage will be based on the past 12 months of Feedback, rather than lifetime, since it is most indicative of the seller's recent performance.
   5. Restrictions on when Feedback can be left:
          * Buyers must wait three days before leaving negative or neutral Feedback
          * Instead of 90 days, members will be able to leave Feedback for 60 days

----

We'll be speaking with John Donohoe later today, so if you have any specific questions, post them here before noon, and we'll try to incorporate the best ones in our interview.

Call 1-877-222-0856 and leave a 60 second message about what you think of these changes.

by: Christina

Tue Jan 29 09:05:47 2008

Totally ridiculous!

by: Steve

Tue Jan 29 09:06:21 2008

Ok, when are the sellers going to team up and implement intermittent 24 hour boycotts, not listing ANY items for a 24 hour period.  It seems the only time EBAY gets a message is when it hits their pocketbook.  Someone has to send this company a message that EBAY would be NOTHING without its sellers.  A couple of these boycotts would get some attention.

by: Randy

Tue Jan 29 09:06:42 2008

Well, this is the straw the broke the camels back.  We have been thinking of leaving ebay since the summer of 2007.  Our Christmas season selling on ebay was the worst we have ever seen since we began selling in 1998.  Our sales were down 75% over last year.  We will be closing down our store, and moving everything over to our amazon store where are sales are increasing each month.  We're moving to where the customers are.  Ebay is dead!  Long Live Amazon!

by: Jeff

Tue Jan 29 09:09:11 2008

Very bad idea!!!I can see the sellers leaving now. Goodbye ebay hello amazon.

by: AR

Tue Jan 29 09:09:15 2008

BUYER: WINS MY AUCTION!
SELLER: IS PROFESSIONAL, DOES EVERYTHING RIGHT!
BUYER: EMAILS SELLER ''GIVE ME A REFUND OR I WILL NEG YOU''

ARE YOU FRIGGIN KIDDING ME EBAY????????

NOW HE GETS A POSITIVE FOR WHAT? HIS HONESTY?

PLEASE, GIVE ME A BREAK!

WOW, WHO IS THE SMART ONE WHO CONSIDERED THIS PREPOSTEROUS PLAN?

by: YA

Tue Jan 29 09:09:35 2008

Everyone should band together and BOYCOTT!!

by: Disgruntled

Tue Jan 29 09:10:05 2008

I am done with eBay.  For a seller to not be able to leave accurate feedback if a transaction is bad I refuse to be at the mercy of a PITA buyer.  Never thought I'd wish Meg wasn't leaving, but this new President is already starting out on the wrong foot.  I predict this will be the end of eBay as we know it.  Sales have dramatically dropped, here is no need to continue with eBay to have no protection from them as sellers. eBay doesn't care anymore.

by: Tom Russell

Tue Jan 29 09:10:08 2008

Well, I have worked eight years on my feedback, have nearly 500 repeat customers that they don't count plus 2,200 positives and now EBay is going to change to a 12 month feedback percentage and when a screwball gives me a hard time and a negative, I can't respond.

Boy  what a lark!

Tom Russell

by: Tiffany

Tue Jan 29 09:10:42 2008

This is absolutely the last straw. I am done with Ebay.

I am a Silver Powerseller and give Ebay alone $500 a month not including Paypal fees. This is the thanks I get?

OH and BTW that whole removing the feedback if they don't respond to the UPI is NOT NEW.

Do you realize that if a NPB types ONE letter into the Dispute Console they can Neg me and it'll stick?

But I can only leave them a Positive? Unbelievable.

Good Work Ebay! All the niche sellers are going to leave. You'll be one big pile of crap soon.

Good Riddance!

by: renie

Tue Jan 29 09:11:33 2008

This is maddening! Why does ebay REFUSE to protect their buyers???? I have had lots of dead beat buyers and many buyers who do not honor my auction requirements. I am left begging to be paid and when they don't, I file for fees back, but I never ever leave negative feedback for the buyers. The reason? I have seen buyers, who were in the wrong and screwed over the seller, leave retaliatory negatives for the sellers as a way to get back at them. I always felt this was ebay's worst flaw in their feedback system, that they did not protect the sellers. And now this?

Come on ebay! When are you ever going to give a damn about the sellers?

by: Lisa

Tue Jan 29 09:14:54 2008

Ebay does not seem to realize that IF enough sellers leave it will hurt their bottom line. Once again, its the men and women big wigs sitting in their 1000.00 suits on their butts making millions of dollars on the backs of us sellers. Dont they realize that without US, THEY would have to go get JOBS in the common market? WHY are they making it more difficult for US to sell? But just like any other BIG business, they dont care if one or two or ten or a hundred close their stores and leave, there will be more waiting in the wing that will open a store saying I CAN DO IT AND I can do it cheaper and better than you did. First they let the buyers rate us with the star system. I charge 2.35 for shipping of my jewelry and I have only a 4.7 for shipping cost.. COME ON !!!! I ship within 24 hours if not sooner and I have a 4.8... yet we can NOT rate how the buyer is on their end...  once again, the ebay big wigs are sitting and patting themselves on the back saying,, good job,,, and they want us to leave feedback immedately for fast payment?? there is more to the entire sale they just paying... how the buyer acts after they get their purchase is just as important as how fast they paid. NOT HAPPY....

by: Beth

Tue Jan 29 09:15:18 2008

Ebay just hammered the final nail into its coffin.  It is very obvious to me that ebay doesn't give a lick about its sellers.  Its all about trying to make themselves look good so the customers will come back.  Well--you can't get the customers back without excellent sellers.  We have been selling on ebay since the early 90's and we are gold power sellers.  This past chrismas season saw an decrease in gross sales by 60% over last year.  We are pulling out of ebay for good, closing down the store and will not list anything else on ebay.  Our plans are to be ebay free by February 2008.  We had planned on staying until the summer to give us more time to make a graceful exit.  I want to thank ebay for helping us make this decision quicker.  It will only profit us more to be rid of this dead horse as quickly as possible.  I'm sure Ebay won't miss the fees we paid to them which totaled over $5,000 per month.  Remember, you can only beat a dead horse so many times, until there's nothing left to beat.  It's time to let it go folks.

by: mypittip

Tue Jan 29 09:16:11 2008

This is a totally bogus idea! What incentive does the buyer have to work out issues if they have no threat of the neutral or negative feedback?

Shouldn't sellers be warned as well if a bidder is a troubled buyer? I don’t understand why eBay continues to try to pander to fringe buyers instead of the majority who don’t have a problem with the feedback system as well.

A better feedback system is one that implements a testimonial section. Buyers should be able read actual testimonials where a seller’s product was better than described, where shipping cost was re-reimbursed because the seller missed a shipping guarantee deadline, etc… This would be meaningful feedback! Ratings systems are meaningless. All ratings do is help eBay sort sellers differently. So what?

What eBay needs to concentrate on is showing people how they can save money buying stuff off of eBay. Loosing focus, and pandering to customers who are bad customers already is a foolish idea.

by: Bendover

Tue Jan 29 09:16:16 2008

All this is doing is opening up a huge pot of dishonesty.  You buy from me, I send to you, you don't like what you have because you didn't bother to read description or get a hold of me to work it out, you neg me because you are an idiot that doesn't take the time to read about what they are paying for.  What a concept!

by: pknopp

Tue Jan 29 09:16:31 2008

The question I would like to see from Auctionbytes is asking Google if they are paying attention to all of this?

by: hermans-spares

Tue Jan 29 09:16:59 2008

The sellers are the taxpayers of the country known as eBay and have now been told to fund the liberal program of leave ''no buyer behind''. We don't want to damage a buyers self esteem. Wow! this sound like a government social program. Next, we'll have to pay a carbon tax based on how far the item is shipped. Ebay will of course get a portion of that to collect it. Meg, you are D.C. bound. (I hope no one sees that carbon tax idea.)

by: KC

Tue Jan 29 09:18:05 2008

EBAY, YOU ARE SLOWLY GETTING COMPETITORS....WE CAN GO ELSEWHERE WITHOUT THIS BS!

by: Dave

Tue Jan 29 09:19:45 2008

I agree, we should boycott at least a week without listing or relisting. It would be tough sales wise, but if I can do I am sure others can too. I have been on eBay since 1998, am a powerseller and have some high feedback numbers. I usually have about 1400 items on eBay all the time. With the fees, feedback and lack of concern for MY wellfare that seems to be eBay's mode of operation these days, I am actively looking to replace eBay with another similar venue. As to feedback, I may have to make mine green for a deadbeat or scam artist, but the comment won't reflect it.

by: Lisa

Tue Jan 29 09:21:50 2008

I AGREE with EVERYTHING everyone else has said. This is so unfair. OH.... and we have to wait a measly 3 days before leaving feedback... some sellers havent even shipped the item by then... but they can still leave feedback 59 days after the transaction... that time frame alone is still rediculious... 90 was worse but still....... this is NOT good news at all... again,,, NOT HAPPY

by: jewelry

Tue Jan 29 09:23:01 2008

INSANITY.. come to mind.. They have got be joking!!!! No seller is going to like this.. Buyers make ebay.. NO Sellers make ebay without us ther is no buyer!! FIRE the idiot who thought this was a good idea.
Increase the Block Bidder?? Is this some sort of protection.
Buyer doesn't pay for widget. Seller has no recourse.
Buyer Doesn't like item and negs.Seller has no recourse.
Buyer says refund or I wil neg. Seller has no recourse.
Buyer decides she doesn't want to pay for 20 days. Seller has no recourse

HELLO.. EBAY.. What are you thinking. Do you think reducing my listings fees is going to make up for this.. You will ruin honest sellers. Feedback is already Tricky enough. They can leave you positive and then ding your star ratings. This is Stupidity at it's finest

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51  [Next Page]