Tue Jan 29 2008 07:57:17

Upcoming Changes to Feedback on eBay

By: David Steiner

Feedback on eBay certainly has taken a few left turns since Pierre's initial concept that allowed trading partners to rate each other. In probably the most dramatic deviation, Sellers will no longer be allowed to leave Negative or Neutral feedback for Buyers. There are some other changes, which can be found here: http://pages.ebay.com/services/forum/new.html but this is the most interesting paragraph:

What changes are being made to the eBay Feedback system?

There are five key elements to the new Feedback system being introduced in the first half of 2008:

1. Beginning in February, buyers and sellers will be able to earn up to one Feedback per week from the same trading partner. Today, members may only affect each other's Feedback scores one time, regardless of the number of transactions between the parties. This change will both encourage repeat transactions and reward good service.
   2. Sellers will no longer be able to leave negative or neutral Feedback for buyers. This change will occur in May, 2008.
   3. Removal of negative and neutral Feedback left by members who are suspended or who fail to respond to the Unpaid Item Process (UPI).
   4. Positive Feedback percentage will be based on the past 12 months of Feedback, rather than lifetime, since it is most indicative of the seller's recent performance.
   5. Restrictions on when Feedback can be left:
          * Buyers must wait three days before leaving negative or neutral Feedback
          * Instead of 90 days, members will be able to leave Feedback for 60 days

----

We'll be speaking with John Donohoe later today, so if you have any specific questions, post them here before noon, and we'll try to incorporate the best ones in our interview.

Call 1-877-222-0856 and leave a 60 second message about what you think of these changes.

by: DumpEbay

Tue Jan 29 16:51:08 2008

Hey "the deminse of ebay?"......

Spoken like a true BUYER.  Get stuffed.  You are clueless.

by: Here we go again

Tue Jan 29 16:53:37 2008

Oh geez...here come the teenagers, bored college students, and other vermin inclined to wreak havoc on a poor, unsuspecting seller "just because".

I feel so dirty.  Ebay has slimed me as a seller.  I need a shower.

by: "deminse?"

Tue Jan 29 17:05:07 2008

RE: Spoken like a true BUYER.  Get stuffed.  You are clueless.

Actually, I am a seller, not a buyer.

Clueless? ROTFLMAO ... clueless are those, like you, who think eBay is dying or that your mom-n-pop auction business is of any real significance to eBay.

The company just reported, what was it, 2 billion in quarterly earnings?

True, auctions showed only a 4 percent increase ...

but welovl er 20 percent increases in other services, such as markets and PayPal.

And even Meg's albatross around the neck -- Skype -- is now said to be coming into valuation.

S&P calls eBay a strong 5-star buy.

But, of course, only *YOU* have the real "clue," right?

by: Doug

Tue Jan 29 17:06:39 2008

Not all the new policies are bad for good sellers.  But, only being able to leave positive feedback for buyers when buyers can still leave negs for sellers is not a good idea.  It seems eBay is trying to prod sellers into leaving positive feedback for buyers right after payment is received.  But, what is more likely to happen is sellers will just stop leaving any feedback because there is no longer any point in it.  eBay wants to get rid of retaliatory negative feedback, which is not a bad idea, but by doing this they are putting a big blinking exit sign in front of good sellers with a big giant Amazon billboard enticing us behind that exit door.

by: LapisLee

Tue Jan 29 17:13:20 2008

GET THIS LINK TO BILL COBB'S MYSPACE!!!

.viewprofile&friendid=162836124

I
have just signed up with MySpace for no other reason than to send Bill Cobb a message which follows:

Thank you very much for destroying eBay for us sellers. My selling had crawled to a halt due to previous policy changes, but now I see why Meg Whitman left before she was beheaded in the upcoming mutiny. I have NEVER seen so many angry blogs as I have read this morning.

It seems that the other auction sites will be VERY busy signing up former eBay sellers. I hope that you enjoy your luxurious lifestyle earned off the backs of honest eBay sellers and, more importantly, I hope that you can sleep at night, as you are placing the livelihoods of many of your longest and best eBay sellers in jeopardy through this thoughtless policy change regarding feedback. Your sellers are MORE than angry. There is a mutiny in the works. Please take an afternoon to read the sellers' posts.

http://www.auctionbytes.com is a terrific place to start.

Sincerely,

The Lapis Connection

Keep passing on this link when you post!

by: SCOREBUILDER

Tue Jan 29 17:21:33 2008

WELL, WHAT CAN I SAY, AS A SELLER, I AM GOING TO WAIT AND SEE HOW IT WORKS. FOR I AGREE WITH ALL OF THR ABOVE, THAT IT JUST ISNT FAIR FOR SELLERS AND WILL RUIN A LOT OF THEM.

BUYERS OFTEN GET CARRIED AWAY AND BRING UP THE PRICE TO THE POINT WHERE THEY WON THE AUCTION, BUT DONT WANT TO PAY THE PRICE, FOR ITS TOO HIGH. SO THEY WILL RUIN AUCTIONS JUST FOR THE SAKE OF OUTBIDDING THEIR OPPONENTS, AND SELLERS WILL NOT BE ABLE TO PROTECT THEMSELVES USING THE PREFFERENCES AS THEY USED TO.

BESIDES, THOSE BUYERS WHO ARE OUTSIDE OF SELLERS SHIPPING AREA WILL BE DISAPOINTED AND AGAIN LEAVE NEGATIVE FEEDBACKS.

IF THERE IS A SHIPPING DELAY AT UPS OR USPS OR WHATEVER, SELLER IS TO BLAME.

THE ITEM IS LOST OR DAMEGGED AND NO INSURANCE PAID, THEY DEMAND THE REFUND!!!

OK SELLERS, MAKE THEM ALL PAY INSURANCE NOW, AND DELIVERY CONFIRMATION WITH SIGNATURE...

BUT WAIT A MINUTE... EBAY DEMANDS TO REDUCE SHIPPING COSTS, DARN...

AND IF THE SELLER IS LUCKY ENOUGH TO GET A GOOD CUSTOMER AND GET PAID, THE HIGHER FINAL VALUE FEES WILL GET THEM AT THE END.

HEHEHE

WITH THAT I CAN PREDICT ONLY ONE THING...

EVEN THE BEST BUYERS WILL GET SPOILED, FOR THERE IS ALWAYS WILL BE CRIME WHERE IS NO PUNISHMENT.

GOOD BY EBAY IT WAS NICE SELLING WITH YOU

by: LapisLee

Tue Jan 29 17:25:49 2008

I am a very small-time seller on eBay and I got much smaller after I lost my PayPal account one year ago through no fault of my own; however, I see many very well-deserved criticisms of this new eBay feedback policy and I am still adhering to my orginal plan of reducing auctions and store items on eBay gradually by liquidating items through $0.99 sales and leaving only the more expensive unique items in the store.

I only received one negative feedback and that was because the buyer in Europe felt that 13 days shipping under USPS mail over a long holiday weekend was too slow for a shipping fee of $12. He demanded a complete refund on shipping in spite of having bought the item at half-price through a Best Offer. I offered to refund one-half of his shipping fee and he left me my first and only negative out of 862 (1844 total). I left him my first and only negative, which said Feedback Extortion, but according to eBay the buyer has the right to demand that shipping be refunded in full, just not more than the total price of the actual item plus shipping, in order to qualify as feedback extortion.

Now I simply leave neutrals with NPB and will probably do the same with the new system except leave NPB under a positive with further comments as necessary. I think this system will suffice until I am able to relocate elsewhere, such as Amazon or Ubid.

I don't think a 1-2 day boycott will send a strong enough message, but I am still down with that plan as well as flooding all channels until a response is given by eBay management.

by: Top Seller

Tue Jan 29 17:27:49 2008

From the new feedback changes-
"Since buyers take the primary risk in a transaction (sending money to a stranger), the goal of the Feedback system should be to enable them to accurately assess seller performance. This facilitates safe and satisfactory trading."  Can You Say Paypal?

Under Buyer Requirements- We can still block:

* buyer is registered in a country where seller doesn't ship to
   * buyer has negative FB score
   * buyer has a recent Unpaid item strike
   * buyer does not have a PayPal account

Q If a seller can't leave FB- How will anyone get a Negative unless they are a seller. Is ebay saying Sellers will be selling to sellers?

What a friggin' joke. Getting back to the Core is going to cause eBay to lose the Core sellers.

by: Sandy

Tue Jan 29 17:31:00 2008

This is the text posted on the Ebay site re:feedback changes.

The eBay Feedback system was designed to provide a simple, honest, accurate record of member experiences. Focusing on customer service includes doing everything we can to grow customer confidence in our sellers.
Buyers will only be able to receive positive Feedback.
Positive repeat customer Feedback will count (up to 1 Feedback from the same buyer per week.)
Feedback more than 12-months old won't count towards your Feedback percentage.
When a buyer doesn't respond to the Unpaid Item (UPI) process the negative or neutral Feedback they have left for that transaction will be removed.
When a member is suspended, all their negative and neutral Feedback will be removed.
Buyers must wait 3 days before leaving negative or neutral Feedback for sellers with an established track record, to encourage communication.
All Feedback must be left within 60 days (compared to 90 days today) of listing end to encourage timely Feedback and discourage abuse.
Buyers will be held more accountable when sellers report an unpaid item or commit other policy violations.

1-Are sellers not members? The first line says feedback is designed to provide an accurate report of member experiences. If I have a customer who takes my item off the shelf because they say they are going to buy it and then doesn't pay, or I have to take the issue to complaint form to get that payment, dont future sellers deserve to be warned? I for one do not want to sell to ANYONE who cannot fulfill their end of the buyer/seller commitment.
2-Time to leave feedback is shortened to 60 days? Delivery time can take 30 days once you get an international seller to ship the item. How does that leave me, as a buyer, time to leave accurate feedback without harrassing the seller by filing a complaint every time the mail is slow?
3-Buyers will be held more accountable? Don't the changes in feedback propose to do exactly the opposite? If they can never have negative feedback left how exactly are they going to be held accountable? Cancel their accounts and let them establish new ones?
Other than these 3 points, I have no problems with the changes. I have a 100% positive feedback and have never had to leave a negative feedback, but I have come VERY close and currently have one non-paying bidder. If I'm the one paying all the fees for Ebay's services, shouldn't I be the customer they are focused on pleasing? With so many online sale sites, I think Ebay is making a huge error in alienating it's sellers in this manner.

by: Margo

Tue Jan 29 17:31:11 2008

The main difference I see between eBay and a normal website, is this :

On a normal website, there are no feedback ratings, so there is no way for a buyer to trust the seller. But ebay does, and that is why people buy on ebay's marketplace. If the feedback system is no longer balanced, and therefore NOT TRUE, why would a buyer trust it? They will also go elsewhere.

Although eBay thinks this new system will bring in more buyers/sales, it may backfire on them.

Fewer products, because the sellers are leaving eBay, plus a feedback system that is totally one-sided, will have buyers go elsewhere.

And the whole point of eBay catering to buyers, as I see it, is so more sellers will list more products.

So I think it will work the opposite way to what eBay intended.

While I respect and appreciate eBay's attempt to solve an ongoing issue with retaliatory feedback, there MUST BE ANOTHER WAY to resolve it.

Hey eBay - how about asking your sellers what solutions they have?

And another comment while I'm here - I have never come across a system before where the income producing people (sellers) for a company are treated badly and unfairly, in favour of the non income producing people(buyers). Most companies go out of their way to make sure their reps and sales staff are happy. Happy sellers usually mean more sales.

It's time for eBay to make its sellers happy. Think up some alternative solutions so everyone wins - PLEASE!!

by: Ihatesnobs

Tue Jan 29 17:35:10 2008

Not too egotistical there, are ya, "demise"!  Oh how the mighty will fall.  Can't wait to see uppity sellers like you get hit with so many negs, you will be begging for mercy!  Calling the poster's business a mom & pop when you have no idea to whom you are talking is the epitome of cluelessness!

One mom & pop, no big deal.  But the millions of  them DO add up, and can make a difference when they bail out.

by: Sandy

Tue Jan 29 17:47:36 2008

What is Ebay thinking? I quit selling on Ebay earlier this month and I am so glad I did. Obviously feedback levels have dropped to pitiful amounts. So to fix this Ebay now eliminates a seller's ability to leave feedback? Not a popular idea from all the angry Ebayers on the forums. It looks like feedback rates are going to drop to near zero thanks to this stunt. That is if there are enough sellers left to care. I haven't seen the boards this lit up since the fee increase of 2006. So glad I just sell from my own website and Amazon now.

by: Sandy

Tue Jan 29 17:49:31 2008

1-If the feedback system is supposed to be an accurate rating of our experience, why are sellers not allowed to leave negatives regarding bad buyers? If someone takes an item off my shelf and prevents others from buying it and then stiffs me for the money I should have a right to post a grievance. They deserve to have that stick to their reputation. If more buyers were held accountable for their undesirable actions there would be fewer negatives posted. Customer service is a two-way street. Sellers actions are controlled by their fear of negatives and buyer actions should be controlled by their own. As a seller, I will review the feedback of my buyers. If the score is low, I will review the reason or contact them. Any buyer with too low a feedback store does not need to be a customer of mine.
2-Shortening the time for leaving feedback is only likely to create more problems with international sales. With the slow delivery times of the post office, combined with the lengthy processing times from some of the larger sellers, buyers would be forced to file non-receipt complaints only to turn around and close they shortly after when the package finally arrives. This creates more work and animosity for the seller and for Ebay.
3-If negative feedback cannot be left, how are buyers going to be held MORE accountable for non-payment or other poicy violations? If you close their account and they open a new one, doesn't that simply defeat the purpose?

I have been a buyer for years and recently a seller as well. I am proud of my 100% positive feedback rating and have prided myself in communicating my issues to get them resolved over flaming another Ebay user. With so many other online sale sites, how does Ebay propose to stay in business when it takes a deliberate attack against the people who actually PAY for their service? The sellers are Ebays customers, and it is to US that they should be striving for the excellent customer service they are so quick to demand.

Upcoming Changes to Feedback on eBay   Upcoming Changes to Feedback on eBay

by: you will be begging for mercy

Tue Jan 29 17:50:05 2008

RE: Can't wait to see uppity sellers like you get hit with so many negs, you will be begging for mercy!

ROTFLMAO ... gawd, for some of you people the chasm between perception and reality is wider than the Grand Canyon.

You really think FB has much effect on anything other than the narcissism of smaller sellers?

Get a clue: go look at a number of the large sellers, especially those who have 1000s of monthly sales and (usually) 100s of negative FB reports.

They keep on selling 1000s of items each month.

Amazing how they can manage to do that, isn't it, if FB is such a big deal?

eBay's FB change will affect no one other than smaller sellers, and even then only if they don't manage to "get it" from what was telegraphed to them in the  public announcement --

sellers who .. (1) accurate descriptions, (2) timely shipping, (3) reasonable shipping charges.

If you fear an onslaught of negative FBs from buyers, maybe you ought to see which of those three tenets you aren't following.

Now, we could also talk about the impossibility of developing an effective counter-strategy when the propensity on this blog is to think like a garage-saler rather than like an ecommerce giant trying to satisfy its investor concerns, but I'm pretty sure that's a wasted effort.

by: Joanne

Tue Jan 29 17:55:27 2008

Buyers not being able to get any negative feedback is insane.  There are some people who love trying to get everything for free just because they know the seller will so almost anything not to get neg'd.

And yes it does count as the new discounts are nased on feedback and DSR.  If they want that they should not allow sellers to get neg's either - or just do away with it altogether.  Let buyers and sellers leave feedback, but no "ratings".

by: Betty Hitchcock

Tue Jan 29 17:56:29 2008

I think this is a very wrong thing to do. Sellers should be able to leave feedback based on how the transaction went just like the buyers. I have been on here over seven years and have only three neg's, all three from buyers who never contacted me of a problem. I left positive for all three first but that ended with the last neg about a month or two ago. I never leave feedback first anymore and I won't leave it at all now.  What is to stop buyers from  giving negs for any stupid reason anyway? they did it before and they will still do it without any contact. No matter what business you are in there will be problems that come up from time to time and they should always be resolved between the two parties, but buyers don't see it that way. Some just do not care. I have been a good seller and have only given a neg a couple times and only if a buyer did not pay and did not answer the  dispute. Shame on ebay for giving sellers the shaft! and also shame on ebay for pretending to give buyers a break with the fees and then take it back at the same time. I am very disapointed as are many others I know that have been selling on here for many years.

by: ed

Tue Jan 29 18:03:18 2008

Whats going to happen I predict is people are going to list way less then they used to. They will only list items they know 100% they can deliver right away and is perfect.

Ebay will realize right away this is a mistake - people wont mass list anymore

by: ed

Tue Jan 29 18:03:29 2008

Ebay will realize right away this is a mistake - people wont mass list anymore

by: A

Tue Jan 29 18:04:10 2008

I see no reason for ebay to continue to provide buyers and sellers with more confusing issues or smoke and mirrors. Meg come back? Donahue leave?

by: Jeanne

Tue Jan 29 18:12:24 2008

For 10 years, I have rolled with every change ebay has made and still managed to grow three Powerseller ids. This time, they may have gone too far. If sellers can not leave accurate feedback, then there should be no feedback left by either party. This is especially true since ebay is now using negative and neutral feedback to disadvantage sellers.

No matter how stellar a seller's performance may be, there will always be some "wingnut" out there who will leave an undeserved negative. But then, how would I know anything about feedback with only 31,000+ feedback to my name?

I'm off to list more stock on Amazon. At least the Amazon executives know that their feedback system is meaningless and don't use it as a bludgeon against the very people who make them money - their third party sellers.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51  [Next Page]