728_header.jpg (23748 bytes)
 Classifieds
 EKG
 Ratings

Tue Jan 29 2008 07:57:17

Upcoming Changes to Feedback on eBay

By: David Steiner

Feedback on eBay certainly has taken a few left turns since Pierre's initial concept that allowed trading partners to rate each other. In probably the most dramatic deviation, Sellers will no longer be allowed to leave Negative or Neutral feedback for Buyers. There are some other changes, which can be found here: http://pages.ebay.com/services/forum/new.html but this is the most interesting paragraph:

What changes are being made to the eBay Feedback system?

There are five key elements to the new Feedback system being introduced in the first half of 2008:

1. Beginning in February, buyers and sellers will be able to earn up to one Feedback per week from the same trading partner. Today, members may only affect each other's Feedback scores one time, regardless of the number of transactions between the parties. This change will both encourage repeat transactions and reward good service.
   2. Sellers will no longer be able to leave negative or neutral Feedback for buyers. This change will occur in May, 2008.
   3. Removal of negative and neutral Feedback left by members who are suspended or who fail to respond to the Unpaid Item Process (UPI).
   4. Positive Feedback percentage will be based on the past 12 months of Feedback, rather than lifetime, since it is most indicative of the seller's recent performance.
   5. Restrictions on when Feedback can be left:
          * Buyers must wait three days before leaving negative or neutral Feedback
          * Instead of 90 days, members will be able to leave Feedback for 60 days

----

We'll be speaking with John Donohoe later today, so if you have any specific questions, post them here before noon, and we'll try to incorporate the best ones in our interview.

Call 1-877-222-0856 and leave a 60 second message about what you think of these changes.

Reading AuctionBytes Blog: Upcoming Changes to Feedback on eBay

by: Danielle

Tue Jan 29 13:32:49 2008
EBay is digging its own grave for sure! Any TRADING place is created and maintained by TRADING PARTNERS...Sellers are now robbed of being a partner in the trade...THE NEW CHANGES TO THE FEDBACK SYSTEM ARE COMPLETELY COUNTERINTUITIVE TO THE WHOLE CONCEPT OF TRADE. PERIOD!
Without the now chastized ''lower'' part of the equation, the Sellers turned ''slaves'' of the system,(who will take their business out of here pronto)..who will the Buyers continue to threaten, blackmail, and minimize????? I have had more than a good share of impertinent Buyers in the past 6 years even though I never left a negative ever (below my dignity) but the very idea of having an equal tool for mutual assessment maintained the balance in the system. If eBay does not create a serious and equitable platform for Sellers as well, I am out of it and good luck to eBay!
EBay, we, the Sellers made it possible for you to exist AND become a multibillion dollar mammuth marketplace in the first place! Without US, you may want to reformat the marketplace into a supplier of ....Buyers...to whom? That remains to be seen...
This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Tue Jan 29 13:33:43 2008
There is only viable strategy that will compel ebay to roll back these suicidal and homicidal changes.

1. A class action lawsuit filed immediately that also includes a request for an injunction that a) would prohibit ebay from implementing its new feedback policy citing irreparable seller harm until the case is concluded and b) prohibit PayPal from charging back sellers for any reason when seller produces proof delivery or signature confirmation also citing irreparable seller harm and requiring PayPal to remove the confirmed address requirement or compel PayPal to require all users to confirm their addresses.

2. An unprecedented number of complaints to the consumer protection divisions of your state attorney general's office that ebay is now encouraging theft by deception and fraud with these new policies that encourage, support, and reward illegal seller behavior. State attorneys general have the right to tell ebay that they can no longer do business in their state...

3. File criminal charges with the police/sheriff department of the buyer's city against any buyer who keeps a product and charges back and against ebay and PayPal as co-conspirators in abetting theft by deception and fraud.

4. File an unprecedented number of complaints to the Better Business Bureau of San Jose, CA against ebay for policies that encourage, support, and reward illegal seller behavior.

5. Boycotts - the 5th and 20th of every month or the days after if ebay has a promotion to counter the boycott.

7. Contact the AP and major newspapers with OUR SIDE of the story.

8. Leave ebay for other venues.

ONLY HARD HITTING AND IMMEDIATE LEGAL ACTION AND ONGOING AVALANCHE OF NEGATIVE PUBLICITY WILL STOP THIS.

Anything that would cause a delay pr even prevent the implementation of these would give sellers that much more time to get their own websites up and running and thoroughly investigate other venues.

THE ONLY THING EBAY MANAGEMENT AND WALL STREET UNDERSTAND IS PROFIT. IF SELLERS BOYCOTT REGULARLY, REDUCE LISTINGS, OR LEAVE EBAY ALTOGETHER, LISTINGS AND PROFITS WILL FURTHER DECLINE.

IT'S ALL ABOUT THE MONEY, AND LESS PROFIT AND/OR A COURT ORDER ARE THE ONLY THINGS THAT WILL COMPEL CHANGE.

John Donahue epitomizes all that is wrong with business today.

Sellers must do everything possible to make sure he fails.
by: Isa

Tue Jan 29 13:38:42 2008
Taking away the ability of sellers to leave negative feedback for buyers is completely unfair!  Just yesterday, a buyer refused to pay for shipping (stated in the description) and demanded we send the item anyway, or he would leave negative feedback!  That kind of behavior is going to run rampant if we don't even have the right to tell our side of the story!  Any reasonable person who read our e-mail exchanges would say that he is in the wrong, but eBay is NOT going to mediate every dispute like this.  Now that we can't tell our side of the story, that person is going to leave negative and there is nothing we can do about it.  This is completely unacceptable, and it is likely to move us off of eBay permanently.  We have several power seller ids and tens of thousands of dollars worth of sales each month.
by: Matt Price

Tue Jan 29 13:40:24 2008
The problem with this is that the feedback community was intended to be a self-monitoring community.  If buyers don't pay, now there is not a way to notify other sellers that this person is a deadbeat, and now, they can not be monitored and removed from eBay.

The fact of the matter is that in the end, the sellers get it in the end, because they are running a legitimate business and the buyers can leave negative, and after three negatives, you get whacked from eBay, not the buyer, who probably does this to several different buyers.

The old feedback system was fair.  Now this slants it to criminals.
by: MYSPACE

Tue Jan 29 13:41:26 2008
SELLERS!!!!!!!!!!  create you a MYSPACE acct. & post directly to BILL COBB, MEG, & SO MANY  MORE THIS LINK & send them direct messages NOW!!!! here is the link to Cobb

rofile&friendid=162836124

by: arensun

Tue Jan 29 13:43:14 2008
First of all, it hasn't just started to go downhill since Meg left! How long have you been on Ebay if you just now noticed its been going downhill for some time.
I see what they were trying to do they think bidding will increase if the bidder doesn't have to worry, what they are missing is they won't have anything to bid on if they piss off the sellers.

I agree its way too one sided, but all the complaining we do won't help it never does. They are making way too much money in other countries to care about us. You did read these new fees don't occur in other countries so these people will still be making money while the US is shot down, yes they will loose a little bit, but I also am a bidder and can count on one hand when I have bought from an international seller, and can tell you the items that I used to see in droves are way down, you cannot find the good things anymore to bid on and if you rarely do there is rarely any competition, so as a seller I see if you think your going to get a lot of bids, forget it, its not going to happen. (well, that was before they could manipulate you so now that may change since they can get it for free)!
by: Nina

Tue Jan 29 13:43:59 2008
Sing with me now  (sung to the tune of "Oh Lord, It's Hard To Be Humble - When You're Perfect In Every Way")....

"Oh, I think I'll be a full-time Ebay buyer,
'Cause Ebay panders to me.
I have Ebay's complete protection,
Since no seller can "negative" me.

I'll ignore what their ads state very clearly,
I'll just whine 'bout shipping fees,
and the seller will HAVE to refund me
since I can neg them but they can't neg me!

Hey, maybe I'll be a bad buyer,
And claim that I never received
the item I paid for through Paypal,
then threaten the seller's eff bee's.

And just for fun, when I feel cranky,
I'll neg sellers to relieve stress!
It'll be a great way to handle my problems:
immaturity, bad marriage, and PMS!

Oh yes, it's hard to be humble
when Ebay's perfect in every way.
I cant wait to jump on the 'puter,
And cause such destruction this way!

The havoc and abuse I'll create there
will give me that powerful feeling,
knowing *I* can manipulate sellers
And send their whole worlds a'reeling!

*takes a bow*
Thank you.

by: jude

Tue Jan 29 13:51:19 2008
bidville, here comes another powerseller, deserting the sinking ship , h.m.s. meg
by: Audrey

Tue Jan 29 13:54:56 2008
****Will sellers still be able to respond to feedback?

****EBay consistently seems to use survey's to get buyers opinion on the use of and the trust of the site. Why don't they ask for/survey sellers as often and implement those changes as well?

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Tue Jan 29 13:56:08 2008
One of the unstated if not hidden objectives of these feedback changes is to compel sellers to include shipping in the item's cost to increase ebay profitability.

With declining sell through percentages, whatever temporary savings reduced listing fees create will be destroyed many times over if
sellers include shipping fees in the item's cost.

Among other things, what ebay sellers need to realize that if ebay management were baseball players, they'd mostly be playing in one of the old Class D leagues.

These are not bright people, but they do have larcenous temperaments and are cunning and shrewd. And they need to be shown as quickly and forthrightly as possible who pays their bloated salaries.

by: susan

Tue Jan 29 13:56:37 2008
Any ebay transaction is a 2 way street. Both buyers and sellers can behave positively or negatively. Tying the hands of sellers by not allowing them to leave negative feedback for buyers is both STUPID and UNETHICAL in my opinion. Susan
Upcoming Changes to Feedback on eBay   Upcoming Changes to Feedback on eBay
This user has validated their user name. by: Bob

Tue Jan 29 13:58:13 2008
Four out of five isn't bad.  But the one missed is really bad.  What a stupid idea.  I predict two things, in 3 months or less they will have to overhaul the entire FB  system again, or else, this will mark the beginning of the end for eBay as we know it.

Sellers will be bailing out.  Not just growing ones like myself, 400FB at 100% Positive,  but the big guys.  This will hurt Sellers first, then eBay.  I will be moving some of my stuff into Amazon and a Yahoo store.
If I get an unfair neg, and it will have to be unfair, because I don't operate in any way to deserve one, I'll just do the minimum that I can, and not return any feedback at all.
I'll make a list of blocked Sellers as I find them. The point that Amazon doesn't allow Seller Feedback is mute.  Ebay does, and people have worked with it, now it's changing to something else, and the bad guys will love it.  EBay management has gone astray when they started messing with the Sellers Customers.  They forgot that the Sellers are their customers, the Buyers are the Sellers Customers, and they should just keep their hands off.
eBay...THE END !
by: Snake307

Tue Jan 29 14:00:28 2008
Well I'm not going to be buying anymore. So if you're looking to sell to me, better look to Amazon or somewhere else. e-Bay was once a online swap meet/auction house. Now, it's the equivalent of a racket. Next you'll be paying for seller's insurance to protect you from negative feedback. If someone does leave feedback, you'll complain to them and they'll break his email program.
by: Pat

Tue Jan 29 14:00:49 2008
Why don't they discontinue the feedback program altogether.  It doesn't seem to make much sense this way.
by: Mary Jane Kurtz

Tue Jan 29 14:01:11 2008
I am so sad about this. I have 100% feedback, and most times I leave positive feedback before the buyer. However, I check bidders "feedback left for others" and if I see they are mean and sadistic, or paranoid, arguementative and are in the habit of posting a neutral or negative before even contacting the seller, I cancel their bid and add their userid to my blocked list. If the bidder bids too close to the end and I see they are nasty and mean about leaving feedback, I do not post feedback unless they have. This is not the store downtown! We are open to exposing ourselves to terrible people sometimes. We do need something to protect us against lies. There are mean, malicious, paranoid sadistic people out there. Not all, most bidders are very nice. With this new policy I fear some people will rather enjoy holding our feet to the fire. This is so sad. I am going to sell all the stuff I have accumulated to sell next few months before May 2008 and then quit eBay, never to return again. I do hope others will follow. I also hope this is shown to be ebay's downfall. Then if I have anything left after closing my ebay account in May, I will put it on Craig's List or Amazon to get rid of it. I am so tired of eBay treating us sellers like we are 2nd class citizens, or ex-cons. It hurts me so deeply. Most of us are just grandmas or plain folk trying to make a little extra $$ for that medicine, or some bill we are having trouble paying. It is so sad, MJ
by: Elizabeth

Tue Jan 29 14:02:46 2008
ID fractal here - over 1500 100% positive.  I will neither sell nor buy on eBay as long as the idiotic feedback changes are in effect.  This evening, I am listing 20 books on Amazon, my jewelry on my Ruby Lane shop.  I am in multiple antique malls in Maine also.  Ebay has proven it neither needs nor wants my business and I no longer need them!
by: Mary Jane Kurtz

Tue Jan 29 14:02:58 2008
I am so sad about this. I have 100% feedback, and most times I leave positive feedback before the buyer. However, I check bidders ''feedback left for others'' and if I see they are mean and sadistic, or paranoid, arguementative and are in the habit of posting a neutral or negative before even contacting the seller, I cancel their bid and add their userid to my blocked list. If the bidder bids too close to the end and I see they are nasty and mean about leaving feedback, I do not post feedback unless they have. This is not the store downtown! We are open to exposing ourselves to terrible people sometimes. We do need something to protect us against lies. There are mean, malicious, paranoid sadistic people out there. Not all, most bidders are very nice. With this new policy I fear some people will rather enjoy holding our feet to the fire. This is so sad. I am going to sell all the stuff I have accumulated to sell next few months before May 2008 and then quit eBay, never to return again. I do hope others will follow. I also hope this is shown to be ebay's downfall. Then if I have anything left after closing my ebay account in May, I will put it on Craig's List or Amazon to get rid of it. I am so tired of eBay treating us sellers like we are 2nd class citizens, or ex-cons. It hurts me so deeply. Most of us are just grandmas or plain folk trying to make a little extra $$ for that medicine, or some bill we are having trouble paying. It is so sad, MJ
by: Tray

Tue Jan 29 14:11:04 2008
I think that removing the ability of sellers to leave negative/netural feedback is tantamount to hanging out a "please scam me" sign. It's insane. Without such ratings in a buyer's account, how can anyone make practical decisions on whether a potential buyer is an honest person? The great benefit eBay has had over many fixed price store sites is feedback.  Frankly, the idea that a seller is too scared to leave a negative at any point in the transaction is silly, a buyer can be just as intimidated. I could go on and on but maybe just selling on other venues where sellers are not hamstrung and where FB is allowed is the best option. eBay, you have to seriously rethink this so-called improvement.
by: e-Powersellers

Tue Jan 29 14:13:26 2008
Well besides my post above, all we can do is hope that the buyer is also a seller, buy one of their items, don't pay and then leave them negative feedback.

Or just open a buyers account on eBay and same goes, if someone leaves you negative, hope and pray that sometime soon they list something for sale, buy it no matter how much, because as per eBay's new rules buyers don't really have to pay and then leave them negative, just reply to the UPI so the feedback is not removed.

Is that what you want eBay? Seems to be the case, this way you get money both ways for FVF and listings... good job eBay, screw us over some more.
by: Iva Haddit

Tue Jan 29 14:17:37 2008
Ebay has always survived the consequences of their bad changes, but this one just might be the iceberg that sinks ebay.

The damage to the decreasing Seller base will grow to a tipping point and when the final tail- spin decline starts, Ebay won't be able PR-Spin their way out of it.

Just like the bad mortgage housing debacle - they kept making loans right up until the crash.  Ebay keeps damaging Sellers until there is no longer any advantage or incentive for Sellers to stay.

The sad thing is Ebay never admits it makes mistakes.  What a wonderful case study for a college management or marketing course this Ebay decison is going to make.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51  [Next Page]

buyersmarket2aaa2.JPG (7729 bytes)