Tue Jan 29 2008 07:57:17

Upcoming Changes to Feedback on eBay

By: David Steiner

Feedback on eBay certainly has taken a few left turns since Pierre's initial concept that allowed trading partners to rate each other. In probably the most dramatic deviation, Sellers will no longer be allowed to leave Negative or Neutral feedback for Buyers. There are some other changes, which can be found here: http://pages.ebay.com/services/forum/new.html but this is the most interesting paragraph:

What changes are being made to the eBay Feedback system?

There are five key elements to the new Feedback system being introduced in the first half of 2008:

1. Beginning in February, buyers and sellers will be able to earn up to one Feedback per week from the same trading partner. Today, members may only affect each other's Feedback scores one time, regardless of the number of transactions between the parties. This change will both encourage repeat transactions and reward good service.
   2. Sellers will no longer be able to leave negative or neutral Feedback for buyers. This change will occur in May, 2008.
   3. Removal of negative and neutral Feedback left by members who are suspended or who fail to respond to the Unpaid Item Process (UPI).
   4. Positive Feedback percentage will be based on the past 12 months of Feedback, rather than lifetime, since it is most indicative of the seller's recent performance.
   5. Restrictions on when Feedback can be left:
          * Buyers must wait three days before leaving negative or neutral Feedback
          * Instead of 90 days, members will be able to leave Feedback for 60 days

----

We'll be speaking with John Donohoe later today, so if you have any specific questions, post them here before noon, and we'll try to incorporate the best ones in our interview.

Call 1-877-222-0856 and leave a 60 second message about what you think of these changes.

by: Mark

Tue Jan 29 13:03:04 2008

This is unreal. We pay over $500 a month in selling fees on ebay and $250 more in paypal fees. We will be taking our business elsewhere. So much for "just a venue" for selling. I didn't realize feedback was more important than sellers.

by: Nichael Bathrick

Tue Jan 29 13:04:06 2008

As a (mostly) buyer, I see no reason for a seller to be unable to leave neg. feedback to a buyer.  Some buyers deserve it.  I also see no reason for a decrease of time to leave feedback from 90 to 60 days.  This is unnecessary.

by: Sylvia Petras

Tue Jan 29 13:06:09 2008

Who ever thought that we would miss Meg?

As a seller, not being able to leave negative or neutral fb for bad buyers is just ridiculous.  John has obviously never worked in retail.

Boo hiss.

by: Julia

Tue Jan 29 13:08:56 2008

So much for Ebay being ''just a venue''.  What a joke!  Ebay is now Nazi Land, as they continue to dictate how we sellers should run our businesses.  I can just hear the creepy buyers crawling out of the woodwork and taking advantage of this new leverage for them...and there's not a damn thing any sellers wil be able to do about it, other than to leave Ebay in mass numbers.

Can't leave a neut. or neg. if buyer is slow to pay?  Ebay doesn't care, as long as they EVENTUALLY get their share of your profits.  Ebay should create a collections department for all the sellers who are going to suffer at the hands of the buyer deadbeats and crooks.

No mention of what will happen to this function, but what about Mutual FB Withdrawal?  No buyer in their right mind will agree to mutally withdraw when they are sitting pretty with only positive FB!!

Once again, buyers secure their already-pandered-to catbird seats, and seller's get the shaft...especially CANADIAN sellers, whose USA buyers rarely understand our postal rates and delivery timeframes.

by: MP

Tue Jan 29 13:09:14 2008

This was the "last straw" for me.  I'm out of here.  Honestly, not worth the hassle they make sellers go through to provide great customer service when ebay does not know what good "customer service" is.  It takes forever to get a response from customer service and when you do get a reply, it's a "canned" email that does not even pertain to the original question asked.

by: hhg

Tue Jan 29 13:09:37 2008

SOMEONE JUST GAVE ME A WONDERFUL IDEA!  if anyone knows OLE UNCLE GRIFF who is over eBay Univ. & ole JASON MINOR W/ PAYPAL....they all sell on eBay, now how would they like to get some negs??????????????? YA FEEL ME?????? :)

by: eBay Buyer

Tue Jan 29 13:10:38 2008

I'm a buyer on eBay, and I have to say... looking at the changes on FEES and FEEDBACK eBay is F'ING NUTS!!
Yea, nice for us to be able to do whatever we want and toy with sellers, but what they are doing to sellers is just retarded!
FU eBay.

by: Julia

Tue Jan 29 13:13:08 2008

Nunya....that tollfree number for Bill's office that you posted?

''Mailbox full''.

Typical.

by: Mel

Tue Jan 29 13:14:25 2008

This is completely ridiculous.  What is a seller to do when a buyer pays by e-check?  Funds clear paypal, seller ships promptly, then seller receives notice that buyer cancelled e-check.  Seller is out product and lost the money from the sale.  Now is that a positive experience.  Should a buyer receive a positive feedback for this type of behavior???  Ebay you have completely lost your mind.  Come May, you won't see my happy a** selling on ebay!!!

by: NO MORE

Tue Jan 29 13:16:15 2008

There are still millions out there that do not know any of this....we have got to get this HEARD NATIONALLY! I have spent most of the morninging sending this blog link to the big news companies....I need help from ALL of you to help us ALL get the word out! I have already posted it on the message boards on eBay....but we need MORE! email FOX, CNN, YOUR LOCAL NEWS! WALL STREET, ALL sellers need to know NOW! I am also a seller/buyer & this is unheard of! SLAM EBAY'S EMAIL BOXES, LIVE CHAT & PHONES......WE HAVE ALL PUT TO MUCH HARD WORK, MONEY, LOST TIME W/ OUR FAMILIES to make ends meet on here & are we GOING TO TAKE THIS LAYING DOWN? NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! its great we are all flooding this because we get more reason to fight back! BUT WE HAVE TO BE HEARD OUTSIDE OF THIS BLOG!!!!

by: Bob D.

Tue Jan 29 13:17:03 2008

It is almost comical to see Ebay twist and spin their ''logic'' to support their feedback change.  It is almost the opposite on every point.  Ebay does it again.  Slam the Sellers and pander to the Buyers (of whom they think they have an unlimited supply).  Keep it up Ebay as the quantity and quality of Sellers decreases.

by: Gwen

Tue Jan 29 13:18:11 2008

So sad :(
>>sellers will no longer be able to leave negative or neutral Feedback for buyers. eBay said the current system prevents buyers from leaving honest Feedback as they fear retaliation from the sellers if they leave a negative.<<

- What about the buyer who gets his/her item and leaves the seller a negative or neutral Feedback without even contacting the seller to give the seller a chance to please them?  Or the Non-reader who fails to read auctions. This type of buyer needs a negative for failure to communicate or read!

- Furthermore when a seller is selling heavy weight items the “reasonable shipping cost” STAR is being used to grade the USPS or shipping companies charges! Most buyers do not do a comparison between the price on the package and what the seller charged him/her.
Additionally some shipping companies do not display the cost a seller paid on the label.

by: Henrietta

Tue Jan 29 13:19:04 2008

I see a lot of emoting, which is understandable but really not based on reality. Amazon is not sellers paradise! Amazon does not allow ANY SELLER FEEDBACK. A buyer gets to write a long feedback plus a mini performance rating resulting in an all around rating from 1 to 5 similar to the DSR. There are no negatives either way but the way feedback percentages are calculated & averaged a rating of 1 can do some serious damage.

Amazon's FVF is higher but sell through rates are also higher and even though I have not run the math I believe Amazon is lower because no IF?

As I see it I have the option of leaving no feedback at all for a buyer, or, my feedback could say ''If you can't say something nice say nothing at all''

Feedback is not really seller protection. Buyers abandon polluted ID for a nice shiny new one regularly. I had one woman on my blocked bidder list come back three times with different ID. So far as I know she is still out there.

My questions for the new boss:

1. Are sellers still able to respond to negative FB

2. Is he aware & comfortable that the super high volume sellers tend to have lower levels of customer satisfaction and shorter shelf life as sellers than the rest of us and that they are the ones who will be pushed to the top of search results. This will drive 8 year rule abiding sellers like me off eBay because we can't get our product found.

3. How does he see #2 above impacting buyer satisfaction and a joyous shopping experience?

4. Are there any plans at all to enforce feedback extortion rules on buyers by NARU. This dude is OVERT, why is he still a user? (http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?
ViewFeedback2&userid=mi
kewyvern0324&ftab=FeedbackLeftForOther)

Are there any plans to improve Live Helpless? Currently if you ask the same question three times to three different pinks you will get three different answers - all of which may be directly contrary to stated rules.

************
Here is what I see in my crystal ball:
I need to close my store. I reduced inventory from 3500+ to less than 20 last year using it as 'advertising' for my website ever since. With increased FVF every sale will be a loss at my price level and it is no longer cost effective as advertising. I will look into pay per click instead.

I will no longer list items under $5 on eBay, and only enough to maintain a presence as advertising for my website.

I am not unique in that running a business on an annual basis (from fee increase to fee increase) is simply not a viable plan.

The writing was on the wall at eBay live last year, sellers at my price level need to move on.

***********************

Listing boycotts only work if you schedule all listings to end prior to the boycott date. Simply not listing on that day while having other listings running does not even cause much more than a blip. A one day listing boycott doesn't even make much of a statement. A gradual fall off together with many letters to the editor and then two days of zero activity makes more of a statement.

by: Kat

Tue Jan 29 13:22:45 2008

I agree with the boycott.  Since Ebay only cares about money..maybe..just maybe a boycott would make them realize that the people that make them money will not tolerate this crap.  Talk about getting stabbed in the back!

I and at least 100 other sellers I know already plan on leaving ebay.

by: Jeanne

Tue Jan 29 13:23:40 2008

It's our own fault.  We raised children who never knew consequences, except time outs.  They grew up with no concept of fair because they never got criticized.

It's a shame because eBay provided a haven for many ill and handicapped a way to make a modest few bucks.  Now they are sold down the river again.

Like a fool I thought they wanted to be ''different'' and now they've gone to the lowest common denominator and catered to the wallmarts of power sellers who all sell hundreds of the same things.

Thanks for the ride.  It's been fun.

by: Felicia Wynne

Tue Jan 29 13:24:03 2008

I can guarantee that this will deter me from continuing as a casual seller on ebay. At this minute I'm dealing with non-paying bidder, who put 4 separate bids on the wrong ''Versace'' perfume.  Not my fault, and if she does pay eventually, she can leave -feedback for me??? What????

by: Just a seller

Tue Jan 29 13:24:58 2008

From my experience (as a 9 years' member on ebay) shouting here won't do anyone any good. Once changes are announced - they are not altered (unless they are good for sellers, such as the SIS back in 2006).

Looking at things realistically - I am going to list on ebay as usual. BUT (!): I have started to upgrade my site in the past two weeks and I believe that within a month or two it will be fully operational. Once that is done I will start "playing" with my budget - less money put into ebay listing fees and more money put into adwards which will derive buyers to my site.
If it will work for me, ebay will loose and I will benefit.

That would be a nice change, don't you agree?

by: Kat

Tue Jan 29 13:25:55 2008

Ebay has now made it possible for a buyer to blackmail sellers.  Sellers will be unlikely to report Unpaid Items in fear of getting a negative.  No reports=bad buyers staying and picking and choosing what they want to pay for or not.

Ebay..what ARE you thinking?

by: e-Powersellers

Tue Jan 29 13:31:42 2008

Get ready for the negatives everyone, no matter what buyers will be jacka$$es and start leaving sellers negatives if they don't like the color, don't like their postman, don't like the weather in their city.

Will be nearly impossible to deal with buyers anymore, eBay is found the one way to put sellers out.. kick powersellers out of the program as ratings will drop.   One of the way to get buyers off eBay was to get the newbees down to -4, we can't do that now, as long as they reply to the UPI they can stay on forever and buy and leave sellers 10000000's of negatives.

eBay basically told sellers to get screwed.

This is the worst move eBay has ever made for the sellers.

I am totally disgusted.  Time for buyer blackmail and feedback extortion to rein supreme.

What an idiotic move.  Can't want to see the uprising in June at live..

by: magicjeannie37

Tue Jan 29 13:31:53 2008

GOOD-BYE eBay. Sales have been WAY down for a long time due to their search changes and now they hang us sellers with a tight noose and trap door! Over 8% share of my small sales, which have become many? NO THANK YOU! Bet this is why the boss is leaving. She sees the ship sinking after a mutiny.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51  [Next Page]