Sat Mar 3 2007 18:21:55

AuctionBytes Survey of eBay, Online-Auction Sellers

AuctionBytes is surveying online sellers to take a snapshot of the state of the online-auction industry. The results will be published in a future issue of AuctionBytes-Update. We first conducted this survey in September of 2006 and we want to see if things have changed, and if so, in what ways things have changed.

If you are an online-auction seller and haven't yet taken the survey (in March 2007), please do so now.

If you have taken the survey, please feel free to add additional comments here. Thank you!

AuctionBytes Survey of eBay, Online-Auction Sellers   AuctionBytes Survey of eBay, Online-Auction Sellers

by: Ian Knox

Mon Mar 5 16:37:27 2007

Like the previous comment I am also a small seller (mainly books) and I have seen my auction business decimated by eBay fee hikes. I have no problem at all paying final value fees, but listing fees are a killer. In Australia reserve prices are not allowed on eBay so you either list high or risk being wiped out with low start prices. I am currently doing a PhD on pricing strategies in online auctions, and preliminary findings have led me to radically change the way I sell. From having a large eBay store, I now just use auctions to drive traffic (post sale) to my web site.

by: rudyaub

Mon Mar 5 19:50:26 2007

Are any of you as exhausted as I am?

I assume the trolls working at ebay are reading this so I'm going to point a few things out to them.

There was a time that I was paying them $700-900+ a month- happily.  Today, they get $300 a month- if that...and if they look at my history they'll see that the more they TOOK from me the less they got.  Take from that what you will, ebay.

I've noticed a new trend among sellers which I think requires attention- alot of sellers today seem to be accepting paypal only as a payment option.  I think this policy hurts all of ebay since it makes it kind of a 'insiders club' and isn't friendly to new customers.  Please think carefully about this, sellers.

Another thing that is driving me up an effin wall is within the last month or so my listings have been getting removed because it says I accept cash as payment.  OH, THE HUMANITY!  I accept our nations currency as payment???  This is horrible!!!  What was I thinking?  Well ebay can go to hell if they think for a second I'm editing my description.

I seriously think we've seen the end of the ride as far as ebay goes.  It's such a shame because it was a business that could have lasted forever.  Sweep out all the a-holes running the business and bring in some EXPERIENCED sellers so they can teach the stall a little empathy and that would go a long way to helping the problem.  I own auction software with a bulk uploader similar to turbo lister and am ready and willing to begin planning a collectively owned auction site.  Anyone interested please email me your email address.

by: David

Tue Mar 6 00:13:39 2007

Rudy,

Intersting you should bring up the cash thing. I am a PowerSeller who just recently opened an eBay store within the last two weeks. Yesterday I was suspended for one day for having a listing removed. I use their piece of crap Turbo Lister and I had 3000 auctions saved that would need to be edited by hand. Two slipped by me and I get suspended from listing or editin for a day. Next time permanent suspension! Member since 1998 with over 5000 positive feedbacks without one negative or even a neutral.
Go figure.

by: Lisa

Tue Mar 6 03:23:15 2007

I think eBay has gotten too big to be effective as it once was.  Even if I have the best product at the best price, I could be overlooked because there is so much there.  I also feel they are too expensive for the small vendor.  I've moved my storefront to Blujay, it's free and am looking into options other than "the big E" for my auction sales.   Just my 0.02 .  Lisa

by: Rudy

Tue Mar 6 10:10:10 2007

David,
File a better business complaint on them.  It won't do much but if enough people do it perhaps the media will take notice that a supposed 'venue' (yeah, right) is trying to tell people how to conduct their business.  Lets not forget that every time they do this it will probably mean more money for them through paypal.
If I end up having to edit my auctions I guarantee you I will add ebays most dreaded words "I DO NOT ACCEPT PAYPAL"

Like I said before, every time they try to get more money out of me it will have an opposite effect.  Good luck David.

by: Jamie

Tue Mar 6 12:51:15 2007

I've moved to onlineauction.com and am much happier buying and selling there - no listing or final value fees, and my sales are increasing. eBay dumped me with 586 positives and NO negatives because an associate used my computer for some of their transactions.  When they got bumped, so did I.  As shocked as I was at the time, it turns out they did me a favor.

by: JD

Tue Mar 6 17:18:02 2007

If a person uses eBay as just one tool in their tool box than it's still somewhat useful. However, if google ever adds a regular auction format eBay will see their share of users shrink by the thousands. A lot of people I know are starting to sell more of their items at creigs list. It's hard to beat ''free!''

by: Janet

Tue Mar 6 18:21:59 2007

I too am looking to greener pastures with lower to no fees. So far the only site I've found with any sales for me is OnlineAuction.com. I've tried them all Craigslist, BluJay, etc. with very minimal sales. I am willing to help a site secure their place in the industry like OLA.com, well, actually change the industry. The fee is a flat fee unless I want to add something, I am FREE TO CHOOSE the payment type I will accept, and can even link to my own website!! The best thing is the staff there, if you have a problem you can actually speak to CS on the phone! This site needs to be looked into by all!!!!

PS. Ina I think you mis-spelled OnlineAuction.com in your Survey, there is no S in their name or URL

by: Daren Thompson

Tue Mar 6 22:08:26 2007

I pay $60,000-$80,000 each month in fees between eBay and Paypal!!! I would really just like to get more bang for my buck. I would really like to see eBay give credits toward Paypal fees for using Shopping.com to drive traffic to my website. Kind of like Google is doing with Google Checkout and Google Ad Words. That seems like it would help the sellers save some of the payment processing fees and also help eBay grow revenue thru the Shopping.com channel. They really need to come up with some additional credits that high-volume sellers would recieve after hitting a certain level or a tier system where the fee percentage would drop after hitting a certain level.

Ina, your doing a great job keeping us all informed. Thanks!!!

by: Debbie

Wed Mar 7 08:41:27 2007

#1.  I think the sellers out there ripping people off with high shipping and bad products are ruining business.  Mostly high volumne sellers, taking advantage and giving ebay a bad name.  The you can not leave bad feedback for them if you dont have two id's cause they will leave bad feedback for you even though you pay immediately.  Feedback blackmail...  Yes fees are too high.  I only have 4-5 hundred items and my fees are outrages.  I am going to have to raise my min. bid from 9.99 to 12.99 to come out even.  Just a newby's thoughts.

by: Justin Hammond

Wed Mar 7 10:35:48 2007

I agree with Joyce H Sowell, gallery should be free.  I have a feeling that the potential boost in sales/finial value because of a gallery pic would more than compensate for eBay's loss of the 35ΒΆ fee in the beginning, and make for a better buyer experience.  I don't know why people don't always list with a Gallery.  When I am buying, I almost NEVER look at auctions without a gallery - unless there are very few search results for what I am looking for.

by: KJ

Wed Mar 7 14:22:38 2007

If you're going to play the auction game, play to win and understand the facts and fees before you get in.  Complaining about fees on eBay is just an excuse for poor management on the sellers' part.  Sales may be down from where they were a few years ago but they are still better on eBay than ANY other auction venue online.

by: Stefano Neis

Wed Mar 7 15:46:50 2007

I am a power seller with well over 40,000+ feedbacks. I have to admit that the recent changes in the fee structure and the mindset at ebay have caused me to explore and look at other options. My fee increases amounted to an extra $2700.00 a month for my ebay store along. Now I have moved a large portion (21,000 items) off of Ebay onto Delcampe.com. My listing to sales ratio is better 43/1 for ebay 29/1 for Delcampe. My per transaction value is about the same $11.14 for ebay and $10.79 for Delcampe, I pay less in fees
(Average monthly ebay bill $4,500/ Average monthly Delcampe bill $120.00) ,I only pay final value fees, have free listing, have free Gallery, Free relists, a free store, free links to my personal website and..... what the hey.. Thanks Ebay! I never would have found Delcampe if you had not starting pushing me away....enjoy your new "balance"...:)

by: Rudy

Wed Mar 7 15:57:46 2007

KJ no offense, but you're frickin nuts.
The last three fee raises have been completely unjustified.  There has been no rise in their costs.  There's no justification whatsoever.  You bet your @$$ I'm going to complain because if you charge me $1 today and then $5 tomorrow AND THEN tell me that my listings are going to be less visible AND THEN tell me I can't do this and this and this and we're going to take your listings down oh hell yes I'm going to complain.  There's less value than ever in the money I hand over to ebay every month.
You don't happen to work for ebay, do you?

by: Troy38s

Fri Mar 9 16:14:46 2007

In response to the complaint of eBay fees I don't like the fee increases without getting something in return. I don't mind paying more in fees if I got something for it. However, I maintain three websites and before I started ebay I was only working with websites WWW.SilverAnimals.com etc and I have to say that the money spent on ebay fees is more productive the advertising on Google for my web sites.

by: Frank

Mon Mar 12 15:37:38 2007

If you are looking for a feature rich, low cost way of selling online, without all the fees, try out Online Auction.Com. You can have everything you want, including your own e-store (My OLA House) for alot less money, and without having your business being controlled by someone you don't even know.

by: Frank

Mon Mar 12 15:38:35 2007

by: John

Tue Mar 13 01:36:22 2007

Ebay works great for me. Most weeks I sell 90-100% of my listings. Prices for my products have never been higher. I've been a full time Ebay seller for almost 7 years. When I first started about 20 sellers sold my type of products, today there are over 200! But Ebay has supplied more buyers then sellers so the prices have been going up. I feel Ebay fee's are in line with the service they provide. And as far as customer service is concerned I haven't needed it but once or twice and both times It was handled by Live Help with no problems. I hate hearing all the whining from unsuccessful sellers, adapt or go out of business. The strongest will survive, I have!
John aka Ebay Pays My Bills

by: lin

Tue Mar 13 16:34:32 2007

Ebays became the largest onlne auction site because sellers supported the website, passed the word, put up with the problems way back when & now it's #1. The only way ebays will drop down from that lofty position, is when sellers stop using it. While I understand that many sellers say they cannot afford to do this, the reality is ebays isn't going to respond to any posts or complaints. The only thing that might get them to reconsider how they are currently doing things is to stop paying them mega dollars each month. There are some amazing sellers who have been with them since day 1. I actually believe that the same sellers who could transport ebays to #1, if they were to put that effort into another site & make that site a success, ebays bottom line would be effected & they would have to make some changes or slowly drop from # 1.

by: Sade

Tue Mar 13 23:19:06 2007

If you want low cost selling try your own website linked to e-Crater. I have done VERY well this way and outsell my eBay store three-fold.

1 2 3  [Next Page]